Anonymous donors sending $34 million ISU’s way

Keesia Wirt

One of the largest single donations to a public university ever is has been pledged to Iowa State.

ISU President Martin Jischke will announce a $34 million anonymous gift to the university this morning at 9 in the Memorial Union.

The gift was given to the College of Agriculture and will help launch the largest fund-raising effort in ISU’s history — “Campaign Destiny: To Become the Best.”

“Both the campaign and this gift are historic moments for Iowa State, its College of Agriculture and higher education in Iowa,” Jischke said.

John Anderson, interim director of university relations, said the $34 million anonymous gift is the largest capital gift donated to ISU and is the largest gift received by any college or university in the history of Iowa.

“The donor wishes to remain anonymous and we will respect that — as much as we would like to recognize them publicly,” Anderson said.

David Topel, dean of the College of Agriculture, said the gift is “just a wonderful opportunity to strengthen the quality programs in the College of Agriculture.”

Topel said the money will be used to purchase equipment that will provide state-of-the-art research programs and update existing facilities, such as the plant transgenic lab. The lab is the only one of its kind at a public university in the United States.

“This kind of opportunity is usually once in a lifetime, so it’s something we’re just very proud to be associated with,” Topel said.

He said the gift will also allow officials to leverage support that they receive from the state and federal government sources.

Dalene Abner, communications manager for the ISU Foundation, said the fund-raising drive is a five-year, $300-million goal campaign that started in 1995. She said university officials expect to reach the goal by the year 2000.

“The name was selected from Jischke’s plan [to become the best land-grant university in the nation], as part of the future thinking of where the university is going to be going,” Abner said.

The campaign has already taken nearly $124 million through gifts and pledges. Jischke said the $34 million gift is believed to be the 12th-largest made to public education in the U.S. and the fourth-largest given to a land-grant university.

Campaign Destiny will focus on providing funds for teaching, research and outreach efforts aimed at helping ISU reach its goal. Campaign goals identified by ISU’s college of deans include:

* $110 million for endowments supporting projects such as faculty professorships and chairs.

* $25 million for new or enhanced programs including study abroad opportunities, entrepreneurship initiatives, industrial education training and development activities, and art on campus.

* $85 million for buildings and equipment including the Global Center for Agricultural and Rural Development, Palmer Human Development and Family Studies Building and the Engineering Teaching and Research Complex.

* $50 million for student financial aid, including National Achievement and National Merit scholarships, scholarships for minorities and student-athletes and leadership awards and fellowships for graduate students.

* $30 million for university general funds and the University Fund for Excellence.

ISU will receive most of the $34-million gift after the donors die, when the gift will create a permanent endowment.

“They have contributed financially to a wide variety of programs and initiatives throughout the university.” Jischke said, adding that the donors are long-time supporters of ISU.

“All of us at Iowa State and throughout the state of Iowa are very grateful to them.”