ISU enjoys CBS

Jennifer Whalen

While many students and staff walked across campus Thursday afternoon, they were greeted to a rather new sight near the Campanile.

The CBS Sports tour was visiting Iowa State and giving the university a taste of what sports coverage is all about. Many students took the opportunity to visit the tent and to learn interesting tidbits about CBS Sports.

“There are free games, and it’s fun!” said Nicole Felkey, a freshmen in pre-chemical engineering. “You can win free prizes, and there is free Mountain Dew.”

For those who weren’t able to get a peek inside the big blue tent, lots of different activities were set up for students to enjoy. The idea of the promotional tour was to give students the chance to try their favorite sport, or to try their hand at announcing, only on a smaller scale.

“You go around and try different athletic games,” Mark Dollard, freshmen in pre-engineering said. “If you get enough points, you can get a free t-shirt. You can also get free Mountain Dew.”

With each sport or game tried, there was the opportunity to accumulate points. This could eventually lead to a prize, if enough points were gained. Many sports were offered such as basketball, football, golf and tennis.

A station was also set up so students could try their hand at announcing, using a prompter to help them. Students were also able to keep their tape after their sports announcing debut.

Giving away free gifts was not the only reason for the promotional tour. Getting students aquainted with CBS Sports was another more prominent factor. Johnny Rossi, a member of the promotional tour, gave a brief overview.

“It’s a promotional tour for CBS Sports,” Rossi said. “We usually get a pretty good turnout. Students go around to the different games and get points. The most popular station is usually the sports announcer. We usually have a steady line at that one.”

The promotional tour was a fun idea for students and staff to learn about sports, Rossi said.