Fund-raiser banks on spare change

Tara Deering

Penny, penny. Who’s got the penny?

A million pennies is the goal for “Cyclone Cents,” a Government of the Student Body sponsored campaign to help raise $10,000 for United Way.

The penny drive will officially be announced today at 11 a.m., south of the Campanile.

Iowa State President Martin Jischke will speak at the kick-off, as well as United Way representative James Melsa, dean of the College of Engineering. Ames radio station KCCQ will be broadcasting from the event.

Brad Lozan, GSB director of public relations, said he hopes many students come out to enjoy the free food and music and to help support “Cyclone Cents.”

GSB is assisting United Way in organizing the campus event since the organization does not have a representative branch on the ISU campus.

Donation containers will be placed at local businesses and there will be several on-campus locations for students to donate their pennies. A count-a-meter will be displayed near Beardshear Hall to show the progress of the campaign.

Local businesses participating in the fund-raiser include Dominoes Pizza, Dairy Queen, McDonald’s, Crystal Waters and Sam’s Club.

Norwest Bank officials have donated their services to count the change and deposit it into an account.

Lozan said all donations will go directly to the Story County United Way branch.

Hy-Vee and Subway will also be donating food for the kick-off today, along with Dominoes and Dairy Queen. Lorna Lauridsen, manager of the Campustown Dairy Queen, said she thinks “Cyclone Cents” will be well received by ISU students and by the Ames community.

The million penny fund-raiser will run through the month of October.