Statue of ISU football legend may be moved

Keesia Wirt

Beneath a canopy of tree branches surrounded by shrubs and bushes sits a lone statue of an Iowa State football hero.

A stone path may tempt some to investigate, but for many students the statue of Jack Trice — the first ISU African-American football player and the only player to die of injuries sustained during a game — remains a nameless object, just another part of the Iowa State landscape.

However, that may soon change if a bill is passed at next Wednesday’s Government of the Student Body meeting. Senators will debate a bill that calls for the statue to be relocated in front of the Olsen Building.

The Jack Trice statue, which currently sits between Carver Hall and Beardshear Hall, was bought by GSB in 1987. Adam Gold, GSB president, said, “GSB technically owns the statue, and we feel like it is not in the right place.”

John Anderson, interim director of university relations, said the university would be receptive to the idea and would be willing to talk to GSB leaders about it.

But even though GSB purchased the statue, Anderson said, “Anything that involves the relocation of something on university grounds would have to go through the university.”

Gold and members of his cabinet decided they wanted to move the statue to a new location so students would be more aware of who Trice was.

“We’re doing this to honor a great athlete. The administration is in support, the [football] players are in support and our [GSB] administration is in support,” Gold said. “This is a great way to honor him properly.”

If the bill is passed Wednesday, Gold hopes to have the statue moved by Oct. 12, in time for the Texas A&M football game.

After several years of student uprisings to change the official name of Cyclone Stadium to Jack Trice Stadium, the football field was named Jack Trice Field in 1984. The statue of Trice was unveiled in 1987.

The cost to move the statue will probably be paid for by the university, Gold said. After speaking with officials in facilities planning and management, Gold estimated the cost of the move would be about $10,000. There would be additional restoration costs, estimated at about $60,000 to restore the statue to its original condition.

“With all of this, I still expect the GSB’s cost to remain minimal,” Gold said.

He did not yet have an estimate of how much GSB would have to pay.

Gold, who campaigned last spring on changing the name of Jack Trice Field/Cyclone Stadium to Jack Trice Stadium, said the name change is one of the reasons he wants the statue moved.

“This is another step in getting the name changed. We’re pushing towards that larger goal,” Gold said.

He said Gene Smith, athletic director, was “very excited” about the idea and in favor of the relocation. Smith could not be reached for comment.

“We feel the students want this. It was one of the things we promised while campaigning and we want to honor it,” Gold said.