Student Government starts semester with elections and funding bills

Katlyn Campbell/Iowa State Daily

Members of Iowa State’s Student Government make their way through the night’s agenda during their meeting on Oct. 24, 2018, in the Campanile room of the Memorial Union. The meeting centered on funding for Latinx Initiatives, Rodeo Club, seating at-large members to the finance committee and confirming members to the election commission.

Madelyn Ostendorf

Student Government will kick off the spring semester Wednesday by electing a new chair for the Civic Engagement Committee, as well as debating funding bills for four student organizations.

Student Government’s previous Civic Engagement Chair, Sen. Caroline Warmuth, has resigned, and members of Student Government will nominate senators to fill the vacancy. Once elected, that senator will immediately assume all responsibilities of the chair.

The C-Nettes, a dance team that focuses on team endurance, sisterhood and body positivity, is asking for $2,527.80 to offset the cost of uniforms, shoes, registration and transportation for a conference on June 1 in Alabama.

The Iranian Students’ and Scholars’ Association (ISSA) is requesting $3,050 to put on an event to celebrate the Persian New Year on March 22. Persian New Year is one of the most significant events in Iran’s culture, and ISSA is looking to to decrease the cost of food, venue, flowers and Haft-sin for the 300 projected guests.

The Peterson Squadron is looking to be granted $1,211.76 to bring three teams to a competitive event on Feb. 1 in Indiana. The funding would cover the $130 per team registration cost as well as transportation for the teams.

The Pride Alliance, a student organization whose mission is to provide a safe space where students and guests can discuss and learn about the LGBTQIA+ community, is requesting $1,511 to hold a Pride Prom. The Pride Alliance plans to partner with Gamma Rho Lambda, and the funding would help offset the cost of advertising and food for the event.

The senate meetings are open to the public 7 p.m. Wednesdays in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.

For more information or to contact your senator, visit Student Government’s website.