ISUCard deadline extended

Tim Frerking

Originally, the rule was all students who did not get their new ISUCards before June 8 would have to pay a fine. Times change, though, and so has the rule.

The Iowa State Treasurer’s Office has extended the carding period for those who were unable or forgot to get a new identification card.

“We decided to give a reprieve until the first day of [fall] classes.” ISU Treasurer Joan Thompson said. “Some people were out of the country.”

Thompson said they carded around 24,000 people. She said the ISU community consists of approximately 24,400 students and 6,000 faculty and staff. Although the ISUCard is optional for faculty and staff, this means a fair share of ISU does not yet have the new identification card.

For those who are still in need of a card, the Memorial Union is no longer the place to go to pick up the ISUCard. Instead, all students and faculty should go to Room 196 of Carver Hall between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Firstar Bank representatives will be present to give advice regarding the card’s bank account option, Thompson said.

After Aug. 26, the first day of classes, the fine for obtaining a new ISUCard will be $15. Freshmen and transfer students may obtain their first cards for free, she said, but if someone loses his or her card, that person must pay $15 to replace it.

“If you decide to add the banking option you do need a new card, but there is no charge to replace that card,” Thompson said. “After the first year, though, you would have to pay $15 for the new card with the option. This lets people get used to the card for the first year.”

She said that under state law there can be no charge for a new card if a cardholder decides to drop to the banking option.

All students have the cash stripe capabilities on their ISUCard, which can hold up to $50 for spending at the University Book Store, the Memorial Union Food Court, or the university’s new vending machines.

Bill Young, Memorial Union food service director, said, “There are only a few machines where the card won’t be accepted — I believe only around 10 or 11 [pop] machines. The intention is to get all machines with a debit card validator on them.”

He said the new machines will provide a wider variety of products, although pop machines will continue to carry mostly Coca-Cola products.

“The new vending machines should be fully running by the first of August,” Young said.

Currently, there is only one cash-to-card machine for the card’s cash stripe capability at University Book Store. Thompson said soon there will be one at the Food Court, and “by fall there will be 15 cash-to-card machines throughout campus.” She said there should be at least one in every residence hall.