ISU swans allowed to roam on entire lake

Keesia Wirt

Lancelot and Elaine, the two trumpeter swans of Lake LaVerne, now have the opportunity to stretch their legs and check out the Iowa State campus. However, they will have a chaperone to keep an eye on them.

Since last October, the pair of swans has remained inside a fenced area at the west end of the lake. This week, the birds were given their first hours of independence when they were allowed to leave the enclosed area.

From noon until 5 p.m., the swans are allowed to roam around the lake. They can come and go as they please because the gate to their enclosure is left open. However, there is one condition: someone must “swan-sit” while the gate is open so the swans do not wander onto any street and face the danger of being hit by a car.

George Knaphus, professor of botany and faculty adviser to the Liberal Arts and Sciences Council, said, “This is a learning process for us. We’re just not sure of the extent of their inquisitiveness. Certainly they’re not aware that cars could hit them.”

Even though the birds’ wings have been clipped, making them unable to fly, Knaphus said no one is certain how far they will wander. In that case, if the swans do wander over to Lincoln Way, someone will be there to flag down cars and keep the swans safe.

“This is a serious experiment and study to see if it is possible to have trumpeter swans this close to humanity and make it work. This is a very precious thing,” Knaphus said.

Right now, he said, the swans are still a “little spooky” about the open gates. When freedom was offered to them on Monday, Lancelot and Elaine did not go rushing out to enjoy it.

“You can’t chase swans. You can’t make them leave if they don’t want to. They’re free to go in and out on their own,” Knaphus said.

He said the swans are both protective and territorial, which is a good thing for the future when they will have to face four-legged and two-legged predators trying to harm their nests.

“They can definitely make things tough on predators,” he said.

Knaphus said he hopes enough student teams can be recruited to “swan sit.” He also asks that anyone who sees a swan wandering away from the lake area to “shoo” it back toward the water.

Though they get to wander during the day, Lancelot and Elaine will be returned to their enclosed area every night.

“Most people on campus seem to feel good about the swans. They have been a part of the tradition here for over half a century,” Knaphus said.

Although they are called trumpeter swans, Knaphus said, he has only heard the swans make a few “squeaks” of trumpeting attempts. Fortunately, he said, they will get better.