Relationship between science and religion to be discussed

Keesia Wirt

Students and faculty trying to solve the age-old problem of relating faith and science may find answers this weekend.

The second annual O. Norman Carlson Faith and Science Symposium will be held this Saturday in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.

This year’s symposium is called “Genetic Technology: Ethical Dilemmas for People of Faith.”

The symposium is sponsored by the University Lutheran Congregation and the Lutheran Campus Ministry of Ames. It will begin at 12:30 p.m. Saturday.

Diane Ryan, of the Lutheran Campus Ministry, said the symposium is a way to try and understand two very different ideas — faith and science.

“Faith and science are often considered incompatible. We hope the symposium shows people how to look at ethical issues from both a religious and scientific aspect,” Ryan said.

The schedule for the symposium includes a keynote speaker, small group discussion by the audience about ethical dilemmas and a panel discussion with experts from both faith and science fields.

The keynote speaker for this year’s symposium is Olivia Masih White, a doctor of human genetics and an assistant professor at the University of North Texas.

White prepared 10 case studies of ethical dilemmas ranging from in-vitro fertilization and post-menopausal pregnancies, prenatal diagnosis for sex selection, mercy killing and the refusal of surgical treatment. Each of the case studies will be given to the small groups for discussion.

Jesse Bergstrom, a sophomore in computer engineering and a student on the symposium’s planning committee, said leaders of the small group discussions will read each case study and then ask the group several questions that relate.

“We just want to get people thinking about the problems,” Bergstrom said.

The symposium is open to everyone, he said.

The symposium is named after O. Norman Carlson, a past ISU professor and a strong supporter of the Lutheran church, Ryan said.

For more information on the Faith and Science Symposium, contact the University Lutheran Congregation at 292-7360.