Community remembers crash victims

Keesia Wirt

The Iowa State community paused Thursday for the 10th anniversary of the Nov. 25, 1985, crash of a university-owned plane that claimed seven lives.

University officials, students and community members gathered to rededicate a stone and plaque to the new cross country course, which will host the NCAA National Cross Country Meet Monday.

Tom Thielen, vice president for student affairs, spoke to a small crowd about what he remembers of that day a decade ago.

“We are here to commemorate and celebrate the lives of the individuals who were lost. We should never forget that tragic event,” Thielen said.

Ten years ago Thursday, three university planes left the NCAA Cross Country Championships in Milwaukee, Wis., carrying the ISU men’s and women’s cross country teams and staff. The women’s team was celebrating a surprise second-place finish and all were on their way home to celebrate the Thanksgiving holiday.

Because of heavy sleeting, the university planes flew into the Des Moines airport instead of Ames. Only two landed.

The third plane crashed in a residential area of Des Moines — instantly killing the six passengers and the pilot.

Victims included ISU cross country and women’s track coach Ron Renko, assistant coach Pat Moynihan, cross country team members Sue Baxter, Sheryl Maahs and Julie Rose, student trainer Stephanie Streit and pilot Burton Watkins.

Thielen said he vividly remembers the day of the crash. He received a phone call at 6:30 p.m., when he learned a plane with cross country members had gone down. He immediately went to the Ames airport and waited for more information. By 9:30 p.m. a crowd of ISU students and staff and Ames residents had gathered at the airport.

“The news finally came and we all knew what had to happen next. We had to contact the family members,” Thielen said.

In the days to come, Thielen remembered the ISU community coming together to mourn the loss and celebrate the lives of the victims.

Elaine Hieber, ISU associate athletic director who was also working at the university at the time of the accident, said the crash was devastating not only for the university, but for the entire country.

“It’s very important for the university to remember the memories of the individuals and their accomplishments. We want to keep those memories alive,” Hieber said.

The news hit home for several of the 1995 women’s cross country team members, who are now preparing to compete in nationals.

Mickey Skidmore, a sophomore from Colfax, said, “Ten years later we’re also running at nationals, only we get to run on our own course. The whole thing is very ironic.”

Stacey Armstrong, a sophomore from Carlisle, England, said she’s a little closer to the accident. Two of the runners who were killed were also from England.

“It really gives you inspiration to run in this race. We’re all really looking forward to it,” she said.

Another cross country team member, Emily Martini, a freshman from Emmetsburg, said she grew up running in the Sheryl Maahs Relays. Maahs was one of the crash victims.

“It just happens to be that we’re in the same position they were in 10 years ago. It was probably a dream of theirs to run on their home course,” Martini said. “We’re going to have all of our friends and family there cheering us on. They were coming home to celebrate with theirs and never made it.”

A stone with a plaque dedicated to those who lost their lives was placed at the finish line of the new cross country course. The memorial was moved from Veenker Memorial Golf Course.