Cyclones take care of business, win big over Ohio

Redshirt sophomore Jarrett Degen wrestles Tyshawn Williams during the Iowa State vs SIU-Edwardsville match in Stephens Auditorium Nov. 11. The Cyclones won nine of the ten matches over the Cougars. 

Trevor Holbrook

Before the action began on the mat in Hilton Coliseum, the Cyclones established a 6-0 lead due to Ohio University’s 125-pounder Shakur Laney forfeiting from missing weight.

The trend of throwing a six, five or four continued for Iowa State in its 33-6 win over Ohio.

“Good win — good effort,” said Iowa State coach Kevin Dresser. “Even in the two matches we lost, I thought we could’ve changed some technical things, but I thought we wrestled hard up and down the lineup. 

“That’s kind of what we talk about, and that’s what we’re continuing to drive home in the practice room in everything we do. I’m a big consistency guy, and I felt like we had some good consistency with this team like we did in Iowa City.”

Out of Iowa State’s eight individual wins, five resulted in bonus points. In the matches the Cyclones didn’t earn bonus points, they stayed aggressive late. Heavyweight Gannon Gremmel and 184-pounder Sam Colbray secured takedowns with less than two seconds in their matches.

While Colbray and Gremmel failed to acquire bonus points, other members of the team added them. 

Surprisingly, the bonus points didn’t accumulate at 133-pounds from the offensively aggressive Austin Gomez, but the redshirt sophomore snagged a 5-3 decision.

At 141 pounds, redshirt sophomore Ian Parker tacked on four team points with a major decision. In his 12-1 win, Parker displayed a diverse set of scoring, gaining four points off a near fall, two takedowns, a reversal, a point from Ohio’s Kyran Hagan for stalling and a riding time point. 

“I like to go into every match thinking the same thing,” Parker said. “Just go out there and try to score as many points as I can. Whether it’s No. 3 in the country Iowa or not-ranked Ohio — really the game plan doesn’t change for me as much.”

The lengthy Jarrett Degen looked to boost the 13-0 start more. The 149-pound redshirt sophomore flurried four takedowns and an escape before finishing redshirt freshman Alec Hagan.

Degen put his opponent on his back, securing a pin and six team points. 

Iowa State dropped decisions at 157 pounds and 165 pounds, but an Ames native put them back in the bonus-point business.

Marcus Coleman put on the headgear for his first dual in Hilton Coliseum, facing redshirt sophomore Joe Terry.

Coleman — who sported a 2-0 record in duals entering Sunday — snared an early takedown over Terry.

Terry battled back and nearly limited Coleman to a decision and three team points. Instead, Coleman stringed together a third period escape and two takedowns. At the sound of the buzzer, 2:37 of riding time granted Coleman another point and a 14-6 win.

When 197 rolled around, the bonus-point mentality was on full display. Redshirt senior Willie Miklus overpowered his opponent, redshirt junior Nathan Hall (3-7 entering Sunday), from the beginning. 

Miklus picked up two takedowns, and he followed it with two four-point near falls, building a 12-1 lead after one period.

Miklus had the win in the bag unless Hall pulled off a miracle. With the cushion, Miklus appeared to have a pin on his mind.

The second and third periods saw Miklus twisting and turning Hall, searching for an opportunity to throw him on his back. Hall fought off the pin, but Miklus secured a 17-2 technical fall.

“I also feel like it’s not just after the Iowa dual,” Degen said about the team’s effort. “I feel like its been this whole season. Like he [Parker] said, we’ve got a chip on our shoulder.”