Iowa State wrestling has mixed results at the UNI Open

Mikinna Kerns/Iowa State Daily

Then-redshirt sophomore Alex Mackall wrestles Austin Macias during the Iowa State vs SIU-Edwardsville match Nov. 11, 2018, in Stephens Auditorium. The Cyclones won nine of the 10 matches over the Cougars.

Zane Douglas

After a close loss at the hands of Iowa last weekend, the Iowa State wrestling team competed in the UNI Open on Saturday and the results were mixed.

At 125-pounds, starter and redshirt sophomore Alex Mackall earned first place in his tournament.

Junior college transfer Todd Small came away with a victory at the 133-pound tournament with redshirt sophomore Austin Gomez sitting this weekend out.

At 141-pounds, redshirt freshman Ryan Leisure finished in third. At 157-pounds, highly touted freshman David Carr finished first, while redshirt junior Chase Straw earned fourth.

Coach Kevin Dresser has opted to redshirt David Carr for his first collegiate season.

At 165-pounds, redshirt senior Skyler St. John returned from injury but was pulled out of the tournament after another injury. Starting redshirt junior Brady Jennings was also injured and had to take himself out of the tournament.

Redshirt freshman Marcus Coleman won first place at 174-pounds. 

Redshirt senior Danny Bush and freshman Joel Shapiro placed fifth and third respectively in the 184-pound weight class.

Heavyweights Gannon Gremmel and Francis Duggan placed third and fourth, respectively, for their weight class.

Iowa State will host Ohio next weekend in what will be its last match of 2018.