Cyclones prepping for heated showdown in Iowa City

Chris Jorgensen/Iowa State Daily

Iowa State senior Nick Weiler-Babb slaps the hands of teammates during player introductions on Nov. 26.

Noah Rohlfing

Indelible moments are everywhere in the Iowa-Iowa State rivalry, particularly on the Iowa State side of things since Fred Hoiberg arrived in 2010.

From Georges Niang blowing a kiss to the home Iowa crowd in the 2014 contest — drawing the ire of the Carver-Hawkeye fans and cementing his place in Iowa State history — to the 20-point comeback for the Cyclones in 2015 and a loss at Iowa in 2016.

This rivalry has had its share of back-and-forth during games, on Twitter and otherwise.

Senior point guard Nick Weiler-Babb wasn’t about to tamp down the discourse, either.

“I don’t like Iowa,” Weiler-Babb said Tuesday. “I don’t think any of us like Iowa.”

With Iowa State’s roster being vastly different than it was in 2017-18, there will be a lot of new faces making their first full college road game debut Thursday.

One of those new faces is redshirt junior forward Michael Jacobson, a Waukee, Iowa, native who grew up in the middle of the in-state rivalry.

“I had a lot of friends and family that were Iowa State and a lot of friends who were Iowa,” Jacobson said. “Definitely saw both sides of it.

“My kindergarten teacher was at the game [Monday], and she said she’s a Cyclone fan now.”

Both the Cyclones and Hawkeyes have had strong starts to the season, with Iowa State at 7-1 and Iowa 6-2 and ranked 20th in the latest AP poll. The Hawkeyes have dropped their last two games, both against ranked teams: a 72-66 home loss to No. 18 Wisconsin and a 90-68 loss against No. 10 Michigan State, compounded by star freshman Joe Wieskamp turning his ankle in the second half and not returning to the contest.

On his coaches radio show Tuesday, Iowa coach Fran McCaffery said that Wieskamp would be a game-time decision. If he were to not play, sophomore Nicholas Baer would reportedly be the man to take his place in the starting lineup.

Prohm said Tuesday the Hawkeyes play differently with Wieskamp in the game.

“He can really stretch the defense,” Prohm said. “He’s a All-Freshman type Big Ten player.”

The Cyclones are coming off an 81-59 win over North Dakota State on Monday in which Cam Lard and Zoran Talley returned from suspensions that sidelined them for the entirety of November. Prohm has indicated that he’ll bring them along slowly and won’t make drastic changes to the lineup Thursday.

He did say, though, the Cyclones have to get points in the paint to win on Thursday.

“We’ve gotta do it with pain touches and dribble penetration,” Prohm said. “I think it starts with us, with good spacing.

“We don’t have any tricks up our sleeve.”

The Hawkeyes have recently shown cracks in a defense that started the season off strong with wins over teams such as Oregon, Connecticut and Pitt. However, in the loss to Michigan State, Iowa allowed 48 points in the paint to Nick Ward and company. Iowa State plays smaller than the Spartans, but there are definitely areas where the Hawkeyes can be had defensively.

As for Iowa State, Prohm said he would like to see the Cyclones tighten up on the defensive side of the ball at times, despite the Cyclones ranking 19th in the country in field-goal percentage defense.

Thursday’s game is not just another edition of a heated in-state rivalry between two teams on the rise: It’s a chance for the Cyclone freshmen and newcomers to pass their first true road test with the team in one of Iowa State’s biggest games of the season, and possibly etch their names in the storied rivalry’s history.