Notebook: Iowa State gaining national attention

Freshman Ian Parker taking down a Hawkeye opponent during the CyHawk wrestling dual meet Feb. 18, 2018, at Hilton Coliseum. 

Zane Douglas

Iowa State wrestling is coming off an inspired performance against one of the best programs in the country, yet still came away with a loss.

Dresser’s plan in full effect

Coach Kevin Dresser took over as the Cyclones’ lead man prior to last season, and after a year’s worth of growing pains, the team is starting to return to prominence. This was evident in the last match against Iowa.

The Cyclones lost a tight battle due to bonus points after losing 35-6 just a season ago. The Cyclones experienced a lot of transfers and roster turnover in the offseason, and have looked like a new team.

“It’s kind of like breaking in a pair of new shoes,“ Dresser said. “It might not feel good right away.”

The rest of the team feels that last weekend was a disappointment, but all things considered, it turned out a lot closer than most people expected. This could be the new normal in Ames.

Gomez firmly on the map

Redshirt freshman Austin Gomez has been improving regularly since he’s started his career at Iowa State, and the nation is starting to take notice. Most recently, Gomez won a convincing bout against fellow redshirt freshman Austin DeSanto. DeSanto was ranked No. 10 at 133 pounds heading into the match while Gomez came in at No. 14 according to InterMat.

Gomez has been on a winning streak of late, and it didn’t stop on Saturday as he defeated DeSanto. Since it was such a highly anticipated match, he is getting some national recognition now beyond just his ranking.

“I think I put my name out there finally,” Gomez said. “It’s a step in the right direction to where I want to be in March.”

Iowa State ranked

According to the National Wrestling Coaches Association, Iowa State is now ranked No. 23 in the nation. On top of the team ranking, redshirt sophomores Ian Parker and Samuel Colbray received rankings from InterMat at No. 19 and No. 18 respectively.

Iowa State hasn’t been ranked in over two years, and this is the first ranking under Dresser’s lead.

The Cyclones will head to Northern Iowa for the UNI Open on Saturday.