Letter to the editor: Trademark policy demeans student organizations

Photoillustration by Peter Lemken, Logos courtesy of student organizations and Iowa State University.

A compilation of old logos that were not accepted under the new trademark guidelines.

Tom Emmerson

If Iowa State University’s ultimate aim is to create ill-will and reduce alumni giving, then by all means it should continue to bully student organizations into identifying themselves in vague and ridiculous ways without using three words: Iowa State University.

This attempt to demean and disrespect University-recognized student organizations reminds me of a hotel in Blackball, New Zealand (pop. 300) that was called the Blackball Hilton before  Conrad Hilton bought his first hotel in 1919.

So guess what happened when the chain decided to protect its trademarked name from poachers of any stripe?

Lawyers descended on The Blackball Hilton (16 rooms), repeatedly demanding that the hotel cease and desist and threatening dire legal action if it did not.

So, the hotel changed its name from “The Blackball Hilton” to “Formerly the Blackball Hilton.”  

It worked.  

So how about  the 800 clubs and other student organizations officially sanctioned by ISU change their names to either “Formerly the Iowa State (fill in the blank) Club” or even “Not the Iowa State University (fill in the blank) Club”?

Let’s see if Beardshear can swallow that without generating an even larger pot full of ill will and disrespect among students-about-to-become alums.