Student Government to wrap up fall semester

Katlyn Campbell/Iowa State Daily

Members of Iowa State’s Student Government make their way through the night’s agenda during their meeting on Oct. 24 in the Campanile room of the Memorial Union. The meeting centered on funding for Latinx Initiatives, Rodeo Club, seating at-large members to the finance committee and confirming members to the election commission.

Madelyn Ostendorf

Student Government will close out the fall semester with bills to improve campus safety and their bylaws at its Wednesday meeting.

Sen. Vishesh Bhatia will be introducing a bill focused on putting more lighting around campus. The bill specifically talks about the walkways east of Pearson Hall and south of the Parks Library, as the heavily trafficked areas currently have little to no lighting alongside them.

Sen. Michael Tupper will also bring forward a bill intended to add Civic Engagement to the agenda bylaws and allow the Civic Engagement Committee to be given agenda items to review. As the current bylaws stand, the committee is not specified to receive or review pieces or legislature.

Sen. Ihssan Ait Boucherbil will introduce a bill asking for bylaw changes to chapters four and five, which deal with committee reports, as the current bylaws do not reflect the procedures being used during Student Government meetings.

Sen. Caroline Warmuth will propose a bill regarding civic education implementation into Cyclone 101. The bill asks that civic education classes relevant to students be added to the proposed curriculum for Cyclone 101.

Speaker Cody Woodruff will introduce a bill to extend the time cap for Finance Committee updates, as Finance Director Seth Carter found that the current time cap of three minutes did not provide sufficient opportunity to give his report.

The Finance Committee will also introduce the “Finance 2020 Priorities and Criteria Review,” a document containing the priorities and criteria for the upcoming 2020 fiscal year.

During the meeting, Sen. Maria Alcivar will be seated to the Diversity and Inclusion Committee.

For more information or to contact your senator, visit stugov.iastate.edu. The senate meetings are open to the public on Wednesday’s at 7 p.m. in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.