Iowa State student runs business focused on women’s empowerment, sustainability

Archana Edmond, graduate student in apparel, events and hospitality management, is currently working on obtaining her doctorate at Iowa State.

Regan Wyckoff

Every day, Iowa State students are taking leaps toward their futures by being pushed further by professors and taking shots at new opportunities, like one Iowa State student did this past summer.

While some students are landing internships, leading clubs and studying abroad in new cultures, another student is running her own international business. This business is changing lives across the globe after competing in Iowa State’s Pappajohn Center for Entrepreneurship College-by-College Pitch-Off this past summer at the Iowa State Fair, where she was a finalist.

That student is Archana Edmond, graduate student in apparel, events and hospitality management. After pursuing her master’s degree at Drexel University, she worked in the fashion industry in both Philadelphia and New York before coming to work towards her doctorate at Iowa State.

The business is Azhagu Beauty, an accessories and lifestyle brand centered around sustainability and women’s empowerment, especially to the women of Edmond’s home in South India.

The name Azhagu translates to “beauty” and is derived from Tamil, a nearly 5,000-year-old language that is still used in India. One of the most unique parts of Azhagu Beauty is the way it incorporates Chennai. The earrings sold by the company are reflections of the artisan work that takes place in South India.

“The artisans kind of move away from their family trade and move into the city, fearing that there is nobody to buy the art,” Edmond said.

Edmond said a strong goal of Azhagu Beauty is to “bring the unique artisan work to the Western world” and to honor the South Indian culture that is seldom displayed on this side of the world.

Edmond said she was inspired to pitch her business idea for the Pappajohn Center for Entrepreneurship College-by-College Pitch-Off at the Iowa State Fair because of an entrepreneurial course she took.

During the Pitch-Off, as she spoke about her ideas, Edmond’s handmade earrings that were passed around gathered a lot of attention. She has been making these earrings for years, as she started the process as an undergraduate student after taking an “inspiring” jewelry-making class.

From this competition, Edmond said she was inspired to use these earrings in her business plan. The earrings are unique in the fact that they are made from a paper and silk blend and are designed to feel “completely weightless.”

“When you go to art museums, all you’re seeing is the Northern Indian art,” Edmond said. “We want to really highlight the Southern Indian art, show the diversity of India and give them a platform to know their art is still valued.”

After going to India after seven years of not being there, Edmond was moved to do something about the struggling wages of working women in India.

“A dollar a day is not OK at all,” Edmond said. “Women are not seen as equal in a lot of ways as men in India, and this is something we can do for them, especially paying them the right amount of money that they require.”

Edmond designs the earrings first and sends the designs to the women, who are able to be employed and paid a livable wage.

“Teaching them the art and making them create, I think that is the main goal of my vision, to empower women,” Edmond said.

Although she is only selling earrings now, she has plans for her brand to expand and continue producing natural, sustainable products. She is only selling in the U.S. for now, but there are buyers from around the country.

“It’s been a diverse group: moms, college students, fashionable women,” Edmond said.

The company’s social media and website work is done by Edmond’s assistant Kajsa Hallberg, senior in apparel, merchandising and design. Hallberg had Edmond as her AMD 178 teacher during her freshman year.

After being Edmond’s teaching assistant and working on a focus grant with her, Hallberg was asked to be a part of Edmond’s up-and-coming business.

“Kajsa’s extremely hardworking and dedicated,” Edmond said. “And her goals in life and her vision are very similar to mine.”

Hallberg has an emphasis in creative and technical design and a minor in sustainability, something she is passionate about as much as Edmond. Together, they have been able to learn and envision new ideas for the future of Azhagu Beauty.

“It is always a really rewarding experience just because [Edmond] really knows how to help you achieve your best with everything,” Hallberg said.

They have been active with giveaways and social media postings and are going to continue to work with student organizations such as sorority houses for other competitions and giveaways. Their Instagram displays students wearing their earrings with links to purchase them. Further designs can be found on their website.