Punt, Pass and Pick’em: Texas

Then-freshman quarterback Brock Purdy and then-redshirt freshman Charlie Kolar celebrate after Purdy ran the ball for a touchdown during the first half of the Iowa State vs. Baylor football game Nov. 10, 2018.

Noah Rohlfing

Aaron Marner (6-2)

Sports Editor

Iowa State 24

Texas 20

I’ve gone back and forth on this one this week. On one hand, Texas’ offense is firing on all cylinders. Sophomore quarterback Sam Ehlinger has 20 touchdowns and just two interceptions this season, so the Cyclone secondary will have its hands full on the outside and down the field.

The key for Iowa State will be controlling the tempo and winning the turnover margin. Iowa State can’t afford to lose possessions in this one. Texas has a solid balance between its passing and rushing games, so the Longhorns will be able to adapt to whatever style of play the game requires.

In the end, I think David Montgomery has a big second half when he returns. Iowa State will be able to move the ball in the second half and control the clock while the defense keeps Ehlinger at bay. Give me the Cyclones in a nailbiter.

Trevor Holbrook (4-4)

Assistant Sports Editor

Iowa State 20

Texas 16

I’ve climbed back to .500 on the back of Iowa State’s win streak. I expect an ugly game similar to last year’s matchup between the two schools. The Cyclone offense will lean on freshman quarterback Brock Purdy too much in the first half.

After halftime, Iowa State will unleash junior running back David Montgomery and he’ll carry defenders on his way to the end zone on fresh legs. Senior cornerback Brian Peavy shines in the ranked matchup, but the rest of the Iowa State secondary fails to completely shutdown Texas.

The Cyclone defense will prevent the Longhorns from tacking on too many points, and Iowa State’s win streak (along with my own) continues.

Noah Rohlfing (5-3)

Assistant Sports Editor

Texas 21

Iowa State 20

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. This isn’t gonna be a popular pick.

Texas isn’t necessarily “back,” but the Longhorns are playing some good football this season. In their three losses, they have been outscored by a total of nine points. Nine. They have beaten Playoff contender Oklahoma, finished off a last-second comeback to beat Texas Tech last week, and Sam Ehlinger has the Texas offense humming for the first time in a long time.

Iowa State is playing great football, so this certainly will not be anything resembling a blowout. But Texas’ defense, while struggling of late, has the potential to be special in key moments. Brock Purdy has been excellent in his 5-game stint as a starter, but this is by far the biggest game of his career. How will he handle it? I’m not totally sure. All I know is that it’s at Texas, and in a toss-up I’ll give it to Texas in a nailbiter. Will I have doubters?

Sure, ok. Hook’em!

Maegan McColley

Project Search Intern

Iowa State 65

Texas 49

First off, I am predicting that Iowa State will be taking the field in their black uniforms. I think that Iowa State is going to crush the Texas Longhorns on Saturday night. Freshman quarterback Brock Purdy can throw to Hakeem Butler while Montgomery sits out the first half.

Butler catches the ball consistently and runs down the field with his unique spin that makes me and the other players dizzy. When my favorite player David Montgomery returns to the game in the second half, he will power through the other players to get down the field.

Iowa State’s defense will stop the Longhorn quarterback by sacking him. Our defense is really good at protecting the line. Iowa State is the best team out there right now! We will be going to the Big 12 championship game and bring home the title.