Iowa State beats Alabama State in season opener

Sarah Henry/Iowa State Daily

Iowa State guard Marial Shayok drives to his left against Alabama State in the Cyclones’ season opener. The Cyclones won 79-53. 

Aaron Marner

It wasn’t always pretty, but Iowa State emerged with a win in its season opener against Alabama State, 79-53.

Redshirt senior guard Marial Shayok started strong in his debut, scoring eight points on 3-of-3 shooting in the first three minutes of the game.

The Cyclones took a 36-23 lead into halftime, thanks to 12 points (5-of-7 shooting) from Shayok and eight points (3-of-6) from sophomore guard Lindell Wigginton. Iowa State had 10 assists on 15 made baskets in the first half while holding Alabama State to 8-of-29 shooting (28 percent).

Coach Steve Prohm used the game as a warmup of sorts for the six newcomers on the team. All four freshmen made their collegiate debuts, as did Shayok and fellow transfer Michael Jacobson.

Iowa State used a lineup of three freshmen and two sophomores to pull away. The young lineup extended the lead from 48-36 to 67-41, exciting the crowd and forcing Alabama State to use timeouts to stop the run.

Jacobson led Iowa State with 17 points. He added a team-high seven rebounds as well.

Iowa State returns to action for its second game of the year on Friday at 6 p.m. when Missouri makes the trip north to Hilton Coliseum.