Campus organizations to celebrate America Recycles Day in the Memorial Union

Kara Gardiner, then-Oxfam America vice president, talks with a student about ways their student organization works toward sustainability during National Campus Sustainability Day on Oct. 26, 2017, outside Parks Library.

Leila Doric

Clubs and organizations at Iowa State will share the importance of recycling on America Recycles Day in the Memorial Union on Thursday.

America Recycles Day is part of the Keep America Beautiful initiative and is the only nationally recognized day in the United States that promotes and encourages recycling.

“Not only will the event provide details of Iowa State’s recycling program, but it’s also an opportunity to learn how you can support recycling initiatives on campus,” said Ayodeji Oluwalana, recycling coordinator for Facilities Planning and Management, in a press release.

There will be tables set up by the Student Government Sustainability Committee and other green organizations on campus, according to the press release. The event is scheduled to take place in the Memorial Union between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.

Attendees who join in on celebrating America Recycles Day will be able to get more information on recycling and play a game to win prizes.

According to the press release, the organizers are there to “specifically educate and engage the campus community on the importance of recycling, what recycling means on campus, and what materials go into recycling bins at Iowa State.”

Participating communities across the country will be advocating environmental citizenship and taking action in order to promote and better recycling in America, according to the press release.

Information provided on America Recycles Day directly engages millions of people in the United States on how to recycle correctly 365 days a year, according to the Keep America Beautiful.

Keep America Beautiful was formed in the early 1950s by various public and corporate interests. The first programs encouraged Americans to pick up trash in national parks and implement the creation of can collection programs, according to Time Magazine.