Five new wrestlers make up Cyclones’ 2022 class

Iowa State wrestlers circle up at media day Oct. 26.

Adarsh Tamma

The Iowa State wrestling team announced the addition of five new wrestlers in five different weight classes to its squad Thursday, with the group set to first wrestle in the fall of 2022.

In a statement on the new signings, head coach Kevin Dresser spoke highly of the program’s new signees.

“The common thread within this class is a strong work ethic, a love for the sport and exciting styles. I just love how hard they all wrestle,” Dresser said.

In the 125-pound division, Iowa State signed Chester, Iowa, native Carter Fousek, who is currently in his senior year at Chester High School. Fousek came into this season as a three-time Class 2A state champion with a 114-8 record. He has also competed in three different weight classes during his high school career, having wrestled in the 106, 113 and 126-pound divisions.

Casey Swiderski is the Cyclones’ newest addition in the 141-pound division and also entered his final high school season as a three-time state champion. The Dundee, Mich., native is currently ranked as the 61st overall recruit in the nation by Intermat and finished the 2021 season as the runner-up at the National Junior Championships in the 138-pound weight class. Swiderski’s three state titles have also come in three different divisions, as he won in the 103 (2019), 135 (2020) and 145 pound (2021) weight classes.

The Cyclones also signed Westerville, Ohio, native Connor Euton in the 157-pound weight class. Euton’s prep career at Westerville North High School has included a 2020-21 season that saw him an undefeated 29-0 record along with winning the 145-pound Division I state title. Euton has not lost a match in three years of high school wrestling since his freshman year when he fell in the 2019 state tournament.

Manuel Rojas was the second wrestler from Michigan after Swiderski to sign for the Cyclones and will compete in the 174-pound weight class.

The Bay City, Mich., native is currently listed as the 13th overall recruit in the country according to the rankings from MatScouts and rounded off his 2021 campaign in strong fashion by winning the Junior National championship in the 170-pound division. Rojas has also won two Michigan state titles in the 189-pound division in his prep career at Detroit Catholic Central High School.

Hometown product Fernando Villaescusa rounds out the 2022 class for the Cyclones in the 184-pound division. As a sophomore, the Ames native won the 2020 Arizona state title at 160 pounds before moving to Iowa last year and placing third in the 182-pound division at the Iowa state championship as a junior at Gilbert High School. Villaescusa’s father, Fernando Sr., is also involved in the Iowa State wrestling program as a volunteer assistant.

Iowa State will kick off the 2021 season Saturday, Nov. 27, against Army at noon and California Baptist at 3 p.m. at Hilton Coliseum.