Students speak on California shooting

Kevin Kieu, junior in kinesiology and health, and Brenda Goh, sophomore in political science and psychology react to the recent shooting in a Southern California bar which was filled with students for college night. 

Alexis Myszka

Name: Kevin Kieu (Left)

Major: Kinesiology and health

Year: Junior

Hometown: Davenport, Iowa

Can you tell me what your reaction is upon hearing about the shooting?

“At this point I think it’s really normal to hear this stuff in the news now. When I hear shooting it’s like oh it’s another shooting incident. At this point it’s scary because it’s happening so often, you don’t see it as much in the news anymore, especially too with the elections I think that was a big thing. I didn’t even hear about this until you told me. I guess I’m shocked but not like surprised at this point.”

Name: Brenda Goh (right)

Major: Political science and psychology

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Singapore

How did you feel when you found out about the shooting?

“Just feel kind of sad for the college students because they weren’t a targeted group but they didn’t deserve that, they just went there to have fun but then this happened and no one should be worried about not being able to live there life just because they’re scared of things like that.”

Name: Josh Lamaye

Major: Economics and statistics

Year: Senior

Hometown: Marian, Iowa

What was your initial reaction when you found out about the shooting?

“Not as surprised as I probably should be given the gravity of the situation. Especially given some other things like how it has some of the lowest crime ratings I think of any of the cities in the entire United States.”

Name: Raahym Rasul

Major: Pre Business

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Pakistan

What did you think when you read about the shooting?

“Just pretty sad. I wasn’t expecting anything like that after elections, so it’s pretty concerning now. I woke up to it and that was the first thing I read.”

Name: Josh Ginzl

Major: Animal Ecology

Year: Senior

Hometown: Green Bay, Wisconsin

What was your reaction?

“Surprised, I’ve been there and it’s actually pretty nice there so it’s surprising that someone I guess would shoot that place up. “

Name: Isabelle Fox

Major: Biology

Year: Freshman

Hometown: Chicago

How did you feel about the shooting?

“I haven’t heard much about it but it did surprise me because I think they have stricter gun laws as far as I know, just shows how it can happen honestly anywhere. It’s saddening to know it’s happening.”

Name: Ally Cunningham

Major: Management Information Systems

Year: Senior

Hometown: Neola, Iowa

What was your reaction to the shooting?

“I mean it’s tragic really, something interesting I saw was that some people that were in the Las Vegas shooting were there as well, and so they’re like traumatized, like I cannot believe this happened again and I’m home safely you know.”