Iowa State ranked No. 1 online college in Iowa by Guide to Online Schools

Jillian Alt/Iowa State Daily

Senior in Kinesiology Merrissa Hess and Senior in Animal Science Tessa Myers using computers at Parks Library on campus. 

Kirstie Martin

Iowa State was ranked No. 1 by Guide to Online Schools in the 2019 best online colleges in Iowa rankings. These rankings are based on which college has the most affordable tuition rates and median alumni salaries.

Iowa State had the highest median alumni salaries at $89,200 and annual tuition of $9,690 for a Bachelor of Liberal Studies. 

SR Education Group created Guide to Online Schools in 2004 to allow students to find the right online school for them based on tuition, degree, student recommendation rate and many other characteristics.  

According to the Iowa State Online Distance Learning website, thousands of students enroll annually in Iowa State online classes. Courses are taught by Iowa State faculty members, and used to meet degree requirements. Faculty incorporate video conferencing and streaming media into their courses to enhance learning. 

Many students here at Iowa State have taken classes online, whether it be during the school year or through distance learning in the summer. While Iowa State’s online learning is highly ranked, students seem to prefer attending a class in person. 

In a press release from SR Education Group, Sung Rhee, CEO of SR Education Group, said “We are excited to offer the most comprehensive and diverse collection of online school and program rankings. Our resources give prospective students transparent and accessible information to help them make important decisions about investments in their education and future career paths.” 

Courtney Main, sophomore in human sciences, reflected on her experience with online classes through Iowa State.

“Online classes are more difficult for classes that contain a bulk of new information,” Main said. “When trying to learn new material, I feel it’s best to have an instructor in person to present the information in a variety of ways so an easier connection can be made.”

Michael Heile, sophomore in industrial engineering, agrees.

“I believe in class learning is more beneficial as it forces you to pay attention and actually learn the material. Sometimes with the online class I found myself trying to work around actually learning the material and taking the easy way out,” he said.