Editorial: Civility in discussion

Chris Jorgensen/Iowa State Daily

Matt Bourgault, a traveling preacher, argues with a student about religious beliefs at the Agora outside Parks Library on Wednesday afternoon.

The first amendment of the Constitution grants freedom of speech to all citizens. People can say what they want, when they want, to whomever they want. However, in recent years, the “how they want” has become a point of issue.

In the months leading up to the 2016 presidential election, violence was erupting at protests all across the United States. Protests and counter-protestors were making the decision to tear up the other side’s posters, throw punches, etc., instead of having a civil debate.

This hits close to home too. At the 2015 CyHawk game, which featured a Republican party tailgate, Jovani Rubio was holding a sign that read: “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter.” A woman, later identified as Shelby Mueller, walked up to them and ripped the sign.

It’s not just politics either. Recently, when a traveling preacher came to campus, students could be seen and heard screaming profanities at the man, instead of having an actual discussion.

What do all of these scenarios have in common? Not furthering a discussion about the topic or problems at hand.

If people stop screaming and start listening and having a civil debate, they might even learn something. A quote on the National Speech and Debate Association reads: “Discussion dilutes division. If we just stick to our own opinions, then we aren’t being exposed to other people’s ideas.”

Obviously, there are groups of people who are set in their ways, and having a civil debate with them doesn’t do anything. That is perfectly ok. However, this does not mean shouting profanities at them will get anything done. Does you screaming at a campus preacher look good on snapchat? Maybe. But it doesn’t further the discussion.

No side of a debate is right. No side of a debate is wrong. That is why it is a debate. But if we can all take the time to stop and listen, we may be able to change the other side’s view, or even change our own.