Iowa State community celebrates 6th annual Bacon Expo

Iowa State’s Farm Operations Club serves up some bacon samples for attendees of the annual Bacon Expo at Hansen Agriculture Student Learning Center on Oct. 6. Many food vendors and restaurants attended the expo hoping to claim the Peoples Choice Award for best bacon at the Expo. 

Kirstie Martin

Residents of Ames, future cyclones, Iowa State alumni and current students and more celebrated the sixth annual Iowa State Bacon Expo on Saturday.

The expo was held from 11 a.m to 2 p.m. at the Jeff and Deb Hansen Agriculture Student Learning Center.

Vendors at the expo ranged from the Meat Science Club to the Rodeo Club, with all of them exhibiting something pork related.

Interim Dean of Iowa State’s College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Joe Colletti, started the morning off with opening remarks. Colletti then participated in a game of Bacon Feud, one of the many competitions held during the day.

Abbie Hill, seventh grader at Ames Middle School, has been attending the Bacon Expo for the last five years. Hill said the reason her family continues to attend the expo is because of “[her] family’s love for bacon and Iowa State.”

Hill said her favorite part of the Bacon Expo was the Scratch cupcakes and bacon bingo game.

However, not all attendees came from the Ames area. Rob Russell, alumnus of Iowa State, traveled 120 miles to attend the Bacon Expo. Russell said his favorite thing about the Bacon Expo is the large amount of food that you get for $10.

Bacon Expo t-shirts were available for purchase right inside of the front doors, with a portion of the proceeds from the sales benefitting the Special Olympics of Iowa.

There was a variety of bacon-related food items available at the expo. This year’s food ranged from bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers to mac and cheese wrapped in bacon.

Russell said he wants people to remember “that by supporting the Bacon Expo, you support the university, students and the pork industry.”