Summer blockbusters coming to cyclone cinema

Curtesy of https://www.sub.iastate.edu/cyclonecinema

Cyclone Cinema has released the fall 2022 lineup, and September offers a balance of independent and big blockbuster films to increase this semester’s attendance.

September lineup:

• “Lightyear” – Sept. 1 – 4
  • “Elvis” – Sept. 8 – 11
  • “Everything Everywhere All at Once” – Sept. 15 – 18
  • “Jurassic World: Dominion” – Sept. 22 – 25
  • “Thor: Love and Thunder” – Sept. 29 – Oct. 2

The selection of films for Cyclone Cinema is based on the box office performances of each film in the weeks following its release. Although the box office numbers are not as predictable as they used to be before the COVID-19 pandemic, the films selected are usually the ones that will draw a massive audience.

Even though Cyclone Cinema focuses on blockbusters, that does not mean there is no space for smaller independent films. “Everything Everywhere All at Once,” released last spring and distributed by A24, was one of the big surprises of the year. Holding a 95% on Rotten Tomatoes, this interdimensional sci-fi adventure has the potential to draw a lot of students to watch it.

“It’s incredible how they were able to juggle all the different storylines and keep the audience engaged,” Kara Dieke, co-director of Cyclone Cinema, said.

Another highlight of the lineup is the outdoor showing of “Jurassic World: Dominion.”

“Outdoor movies tend to bring a large number of people,” Dieke said, and from all the big September movies, the conclusion to the Jurassic World trilogy has the potential to be the most popular amongst ISU students.

The showing of “Jurassic World: Dominion” will take place south of the campanile facing the Memorial Union from Sept. 22 to Sept. 25.

All Cyclone Cinema showings begin at 7 p.m. in Carver 101. Students will receive a punched card on their first showing, and after three visits, they will enter to win an Amazon gift card. All movies are free admission, with drinks and snacks available for $1 to $2, respectively.