Women’s golf tied for third with one round to go

Collin Maguire

Liyana Durisic watches as her shot approaches the green April 5 at the Cyclone Sports Complex.

Alex Duke, Sports Reporter

The Cyclone women’s golf team teed off their 2022 fall season with the Dick McGuire Invitational in Albuquerque, New Mexico. They are facing off against other Big 12 schools such as Kansas, Kansas State and Texas Tech, possibly the most interesting matchup being with in-state rival Iowa.

Through one day of action, the Cyclones are in third place at the Dick McGuire Invitational. They trail Ohio State by seven strokes and Kent State by one.

The top performer has been freshman Karisa Chul-Ak-Sorn at three under par, which is good for a tie for sixth in the overall standings. Right behind Chul-Ak-Sorn is senior Taglao Jeeravivitaporn at two under par, which is good enough for tied for eighth overall.

Behind these two for the Cyclones were Pimkwan Chookaew (+1), Liyana Durisic (+2) and Charley Jacobs (+5).

Currently in first place is Mayka Hoogeboom of Kent State. After posting a phenomenal round on Monday, Hoogeboom sits at nine under par. She put Kent State in second place, trailing only Ohio State on the day.

The Cyclones will get back to work on Tuesday morning for the third and final round.