ISU design store finds new look

The design store, located on the second floor of the College of Design, is for students to get any art supplies they need.

Bailey Priborsky

Within the design building, there is a place often overlooked that benefits students.

This includes a satellite version of the Iowa State bookstore, called the Design Store, which is located within the design building. The book store reopened in September and supplies design students with project supplies in a quick and convenient place.

Recently redesigned by Mikah Fitzgerald, senior in graphic design, the store opened with a fresh look and convenient location for all those in need of last minute project supplies.

The idea for the project started when faculty questioned students about their need for supplies, and they received responses that walking all the way to the memorial union is just an inconvenient trip. From there, a group formed and complied ideas to form the final master piece, Fitzgerald said.

The process of opening and designing the store was a joint task between faculty and students. Fitzgerald gathered input from various faculty members and used their ideas within his final design.

Fitzgerald’s redesign of the store includes a rainbow of different colors outside of the store entrance.

“All of the colors were meant to signify all the different people within design,” Fitzgerald said.

Not only does this work of art bring attention to a hidden area within design, it is also a statement of the inclusiveness and diversity within the college.

Caroline Christie, senior within the college of design, works at the new store.

“The design makes it stand out and draws people in when they see a giant rainbow next to the stairs,” Christie said.

The selection of items within the store is geared towards those taking design courses, but is open for any of campus to use.

“Most supplies are geared toward design majors and it makes it hard for the rest of the campus to hear about it,” Christie said.

So far, the feedback has been positive from design students as it settles the need for supplies at a reasonable distance Christie said.