Three Big Takeaways: Both squads finish outside top-20 at Nuttycombe Invitational

Liz Parke

Ceili McCabe finishes first at the 2021 Big 12 Women’s Cross Country Championship on Oct. 29, with Iowa State senior Cailie Logue finishing in second place.

Pavle Markovic, Sports Reporter

It wasn’t the best of days for the Cyclones, as they had a below-average performance at the Nuttycombe Invitational in Madison, Wisconsin. Both the men’s and women’s cross country teams competed today for Iowa State and seemed to be outmatched during this meet.

Cyclone women get beat

The Iowa State women’s team had a poor performance Friday, as they competed in the Women’s 6k Championship and finished 27th out of the 36 schools that competed in the race. Junior Dana Feyen was the best Cyclone of the day as she finished 56th in the race with a time of 20:34.6.

The next closest Cyclone was Junior Madelynn Hill finishing 82nd in the race with a time of 20:46.5. Feyen and Hill were the only Cyclones to finish in the top 100 for the women’s group.

No. 11 Iowa State men’s team falls dramatically

The No. 11 Iowa State men’s team did not have a good showing Friday. The entire team finished 22nd out of the 33 schools that competed in the men’s 8k Championship race.

Junior Ezekiel Rop was considered the best Cyclone of the day for the men as he finished 55th in the race with a time of 23:48.7. The next closest finisher for Iowa State was Sophomore Gable Sieperda finishing 58th with a time of 23:49.2. Rop and Sieperda were the only Cyclones to finish in the top 100 for the men’s group.

Looking forward to capturing the Big 12

The men’s and women’s teams will need to improve quickly as the next meet for them will be the Big 12 Championships in Lubbock, Texas, as they look to take the top spots in their respective races on Oct. 28.