Three Big Takeaways: Delay gets the best of Cyclones

Luke Lu (Iowa State Athletics)

Iowa State sophomore Lukas Pany prepares to hit a shot. (Courtesy of Iowa State Athletics)

Nigel Dyson, Sports Reporter

The Iowa State men’s golf team opened Big 12 Match play in Hockley, Texas, after a strong match in Milwaukee at the Marquette invitational two weeks ago.

Once again, play was suspended on day one of the match due to darkness on the field.

Iowa State came into this match as the No. 9 seed of the tournament and looks to bounce back in day two as the team trails 5-1-0 to No. 1 seed Texas Tech. Junior Lukas Pany is currently the only Cyclone with a lead, as he shoots 2 under par through 14 holes over Texas Tech’s Jack Wall.

The second day of the match will start up at 8 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 18. All teams need to conclude their first day matches before the time of the third wave of the match is released.

All Cyclones have played through 14 holes after day one. Here are the Three Big Takeaways for the Cyclones:

Stay the course

With Texas Tech only having defeated Jack Slocum up to this point, the rest of the squad is in good shape to turn around their momentum.

Freshman Paul Beauvy and sophomore Luke Gutschewski is down one under 14 holes of play against Tech’s Baard Skogen and Ludvig Aberg.

Freshman Kyo Morishita is down two through 14 holes against Tech’s Matthew Comegys, and senior Nate Vance is down two through 14 against Tech’s Tyran Sanders, respectively. If the Cyclones stay poised through the next two rounds, they can pull off quite the upset against the No. 1 Red Raiders.

Play through Pany

Pany has been playing a good brand of golf these past few weeks, so it’s no surprise to see him doing well after day one of Big 12 play.

If the Cyclones can rally behind Pany’s good play, they can look to put more points on the board in day two.

Finish strong

The Cyclones are still within striking distance of a win over Texas Tech, and a strong finish would do the trick.

The team has focused on controlling what they can control all season, and will look to do so once again.