Three Big Takeaways: Cyclones outmatched from start to finish against No. 4 TCU

Iowa+State+head+coach+Matt+Campbell+watches+his+team+play+at+the+ISU+v+Ohio+football+game+on+Sept.+17%2C+2022.++

Jacob Rice

Iowa State head coach Matt Campbell watches his team play at the ISU v Ohio football game on Sept. 17, 2022.

Andrew Harrington, Sports Editor

The season finale has come and gone for Iowa State as the team was dominated in every facet of the game in a 62-14 loss to No. 4 TCU.

Early struggles and special teams mishaps were once again the stories of the game. Iowa State has ended the season with a 4-8 record.

First quarter struggles

Iowa State could not have had a worse start to its final game.

It all started with a quick four-minute touchdown drive that was capped off with a 19-yard touchdown pass from TCU quarterback Max Duggan.

After a field goal, the Horned Frogs got the ball back once again and ran it in from 25 yards out.

Already leading 17-0, Dekkers got the ball back and tried to make something happen when nothing was there. An interception returned for a touchdown to go up 24-0 and TCU had just about ended any hopes the Cyclones had of playing spoiler to TCU’s perfect season with two minutes left in the first quarter.

With as strong of a team as No. 4 TCU has, getting in this big of a deficit just about ended any chance Iowa State had at winning.

Curtain is closed

With the way the football landscape has unfolded, it looked as if a five win season would get the Cyclones into a bowl game with two games to play.

The Cyclones were not able to get the job done against Texas Tech, another team in the bottom half of the Big 12. The Cyclones had one last chance to sneak into a bowl game spot against TCU, but were not able to get it done.

The 4-8 record for the Cyclones will likely not be enough to get them any kind of postseason game. Some changes will likely be made for the Cyclones, but whether they are minor changes or major changes remains to be senn.

The 4-8 record marks the worst record for the Cyclones since the first season of Matt Campbell’s Iowa State coaching career back in 2016.

Special teams struggles

Iowa State’s special teams have been a story of the team all year long. The kicking has been an issue, the returns have been an issue and stopping the opposing returns have been an issue. Through all of the struggles from that group this season, Saturday may have been worse than any other game.

A pair of missed field goals from freshman kicker Jace Gilbert put the Cyclones up to ten missed field goals on the season.

A snap over the head of punter Tyler Perkins allowed TCU to take over deep into Iowa State territory.

A kick return all the way inside the 40-yard line of Iowa State’s side of the field.

The special teams disaster likely did not make the difference in the game; however, it has made the difference in a few games this season.