ISUPD hosts student photo shoot under holiday tree

Courtesy of ISUPD

The holiday tree is across from Beardshear Hall on central campus. The tradition started in 1914 but was discontinued for many years until it started up again in 1946, according to Cardinal Tales. 

Mackenzie Bodell, Senior Reporter

As a way to give back to the community, the Iowa State Police Department spent Thursday evening taking pictures of students with the holiday tree on central campus. 

“Since I’ve been here, I’ve seen parents just clamor on about getting their student to take a picture in front of the tree and how important it is of a symbol to the holidays here at Iowa State,” Police Chief Michael Newton said during the event. 

This was a community-building effort for the department to give back to students and their parents. They partnered with ISU NROTC and the United States Marine Corps to collect toys for “Toys for Tots.” Students filled boxes with toys and gifts to donate throughout the evening.

“It was great that we were able to partner with NROTC and Toys for Tots to go ahead and get toys for kids who wouldn’t normally get toys during the holiday season,” Newton said. 

To kick off the donations, the department donated 20 of their new mini-squad car figurines.

The holiday tree is across from Beardshear Hall on central campus. The tradition of stringing lights on the tree started in 1914 but was discontinued for many years until it started up again in 1946, according to Cardinal Tales

Many students take pictures by the tree every year as part of the tradition. 

The Iowa State parent Facebook page has been filled with parents excited to have their kids take pictures in front of the tree, Newton said.

To encourage students to fulfill their parents’ wishes, ISUPD offered to take pictures for free, Newton said. It is the first year ISUPD has ever hosted an event like this. 

“We had a great time connecting with students tonight and are looking forward to doing this event again in the future,” Newton said in an email to the Iowa State Daily. 

Approximately 250 to 300 students stopped by to have their pictures taken by officers from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. They provided hot chocolate and donut holes for students.

To help students focus on their finals over the next couple of weeks, ISUPD chose Thursday to take the photos.

“We know the holiday season can be stressful on campus with final exams and assignments, so hopefully, it gave the students a chance to relax and enjoy the beauty of the holidays,” Lt. Andy Klein stated in an email to the Daily. 

Pictures will be posted on the ISUPD Facebook page.