Student Government to vote on funding request for Puerto Rican Cultural Night

Katlyn Campbell/Iowa State Daily

Members of Iowa State’s Student Government make their way through the night’s agenda during their meeting on Oct. 24, 2018, in the Campanile room of the Memorial Union. The meeting centered on funding for Latinx Initiatives, Rodeo Club, seating at-large members to the finance committee and confirming members to the election commission.

Madelyn Ostendorf

The Student Government will vote on funding the Puerto Rican Student Association’s Cultural Night at their Wednesday meeting.

The Puerto Rican Student Association is requesting $4,230 from Student Government to help fund the venue, entertainment, catering and decorations for their event.

The Cultural Night, held on Nov. 3, is a night open to students and the Ames Community to promote, share and showcase Puerto Rican culture.

The Senate will also vote on funding Project Jamaica. Project Jamaica is asking for $3,300 assist in funding the spring break service trip that the project puts on every year. The funds would go toward airfare, lodging, food and supplies during spring break for the students.

The Senate also plans to seat Prashant Gargh to the Finance Committee and waive the bylaw that restricts Finance Committee to only four Senators.

For more information or to contact your senator, visit stugov.iastate.edu. The senate meetings are open to the public on Wednesday’s at 7 p.m. in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.