Three Big Takeaways: Cyclones lose dual streak after 18-15 loss to Hawkeyes

Owen Aanestad

Iowa State’s Yonger Bastida taunts Iowa’s Jacob Warner during the CyHawk wrestling dual on Dec. 4, 2022.

Daniel Krivacs, Sports Reporter

18-dual streak snapped, bonus points key  

The Cyclones entered Sunday with 18 straight dual meet victories — the fourth-highest win streak in school history. The No. 9 ranked Cyclones were unable to make it 19 after falling to the No. 2 ranked Hawkeyes 18-15 in Iowa City. 

Earning bonus points was the key to the Hawkeye victory as the matches were split 5-5 at the end of the dual. Spencer Lee, Cobe Siebrecht and Nelson Brands all earned bonus point victories for the Hawkeyes. The top ranked Lee defeated Iowa State’s Corey Cabanban in a 16-5 major decision.  

After earning bonus points in five of their matches against Grand View, the Cyclones were unable to earn any against the Hawkeyes.  

Bastida wins rematch against Warner 

After last year’s iconic headgear spiking victory for Yonger Bastida in Ames, the junior from Cuba was once again able to flex his muscles in a 4-3 victory by decision over Iowa’s Jacob Warner. 

No. 6 ranked Bastida is now 6-0 this season after defeating Warner, who was ranked second prior to the match against Bastida.  

Bastida’s victory tied the score of the meet at 15-15 entering the final match. Bastida and the Cyclones on the bench blew a kiss to Warner and the Hawkeye side after Bastida’s win.  

Heavyweight match was the last chance for the Cyclones  

Iowa State’s Corey Cabanban wrestles Iowa’s Spencer Lee during the CyHawk wrestling dual on Dec. 4, 2022. (Owen Aanestad)

Despite not having a lead the entire day, the Cyclones were able to battle back against the second-ranked team in the country. Bastida’s victory tied the score at 15 before a top-ten battle between Iowa State’s Sam Schuyler and Iowa’s Tony Cassioppi. 

No. 10 ranked Sam Schuyler fell to No. 4 ranked Tony Cassioppi 9-4, which sealed the closely fought dual meet for the Hawkeyes.  

It was an impressive performance all around for both the Hawkeyes and Cyclones, and both teams showed why they should be considered among the top teams in the country. 

No. 3 David Carr for the Cyclones defeated No. 13 ranked Patrick Kennedy of Iowa 10-4. No. 12 ranked Casey Swiderski held his own but fell 4-2 to Iowa’s No. 2 ranked Real Woods. The freshman from Michigan continued to impress Sunday, despite the loss.  

The Cyclones will get a break before the Collegiate Duals start on December 19th in New Orleans, where the Cyclones will face Oregon State and Cornell.