Cyclones post top performances in home opener

Collin Maguire/Iowa State Daily

Thai Thompson competes in the pole vault at the Iowa State Classic on Feb. 11 at Lied Recreation Center.

Owen Slinde, Sports Reporter

As the home opener kicked off today at Lied Recreation Athletic Center, Iowa State welcomed Drake, Northern Iowa and Indian Hills Community College Friday.

Day one consisted of field events with a few multi-events following it. Here are some takeaways from day one. 

Throwing

Iowa State found success in the throwing events this afternoon in throwing events for both mens and womens. In women’s weight throw, junior Emily March placed second with a score of 18.41. For the men’s weight throw, sophomore Cam Jones led all competitors with a winning score of 20.19. 

In the shot put area, senior Jack Vetsch had a winning distance of 13.16 and junior Thai Thompson finished fourth with a distance of 10.98. The rest of the field was filled with throwers from UNI, an impressive performance. For women, Kailynn Gubbels placed second in shot put with 10.02 as a final distance 

Pentathlon and heptathlon

In the pentathlon for the women, the Cyclones three competitors all finished in the top four.  Freshman Kailynn Gubbels finished second with a total score of 3,575 and classmate Ava Cinnamo finished behind her with a score of 3,489. The sophomore Kiersten Fisher finished fourth with a score of 3,320. 

For the men, ISU had two participants in the heptathlon. Thai Thompson finished second with a score of 2,983. Jack Vetsch finished fifth out of the seven competitors.

The Cyclones wrap up the annual Holiday Invitational Saturday with the field events taking place. Running events are set to take place starting at 11 a.m. and field events will finish up starting at 1 p.m.