Three Big Takeaways: Cyclones post all-time numbers at Holiday Invitational

Lee Chinyama

Katarina Vlahovic and Kaylyn Hall competing in the 60m hurdles at Lied Recreational Center in the ISU Holiday Invitational on Dec. 10, 2022.

Owen Slinde, Sports Reporter

Day two of the Annual Holiday Invitational for Iowa State track and field was filled with strong scores posted from the Cyclones. 

With the running events happening Saturday, the Cyclones found success in the invitational, displaying personal and team growth. Here are the three big takeaways from the action Saturday.

Domination in the mile

All of Iowa State’s runners for the men’s mile were freshmen, and they dominated the competition. The Cyclones raced four freshmen and Ernest Mattson, Emanuel Galdino and Daniel Romary finished first, second, and third, respectively. They all did this in under 4:11.00. On the women’s side, despite only Cyclones competing, sophomore Taylor Briggs finished atop with a time of 5:00.04.

All-time performances and breaking records

Starting things off with freshman Rachel Joseph wasted no time and broke the indoor 400m dash school record. The record of 53.81 set in 2015 was broken by her time of 53.74 seconds. Cebastian Gentil clocked the current fastest 800m run time in the nation this season with a time of 1:47.69. His finish also puts him fourth in indoor Iowa State history. Sticking with the 800m, Darius Kipyego takes the sixth-fastest indoor time in Iowa State history with 1:48.09 and Peter Smith finds himself in ninth all-time with a time of 1:48.31. Over in the women’s 200m, Katarina Vlahovic took first with a time of 24.52 seconds moving right up to fifth place in Iowa State indoor history.

Final field events

The Cyclones continued to find success, this time in the shot put event. Jadan Brumbaugh finished first with a final distance of 15.08m. On the men’s side of things, Kevin Sakson took first with a distance of 17.29m, and teammate Cam Jones finished behind him with a distance of 17.13m. 

The track and field season resumes Jan. 13-14 with the Graduate Classic hosted by Nebraska.