Iowa State wrestling defeats Wyoming in return to Hilton

Owen Aanestad

Iowa State’s Paniro Johnson wrestles Iowa’s Max Murin during the CyHawk wrestling dual on Dec. 4, 2022.

Anthony Hanson, Sports Reporter

AMES—No. 4 Iowa State took down Wyoming in a dual Saturday afternoon. The Cyclones defended their highest ranking since 2009 with the 37-7 win. 

Iowa State recovered from its first dual loss on Dec. 20, when it fell to No. 1 Penn State. The Cyclones improved to 8-2. In dual matchups, Iowa State has lost to No. 1 Penn State and No. 2 Iowa.

Sunday, it will take on No. 3 Arizona State. 

“It was good to be on the mat today,” Iowa State head coach Kevin Dresser said. “But the focus changes quickly.”

Wyoming’s first points came in the dual’s first matchup. Iowa State’s Jason Kraisser fell narrowly to Wyoming’s No. 10 ranked Jacob Wright. Kraisser added a takedown in the final seconds to make the score 6-4. 

The Cowboys grabbed their first three points with the decision and would not score again in the 125-pound weight class. 

After the decision at the 157-pound weight class, Iowa State recorded five straight bonus point victories. 

The next two matchups ended with falls forced by Cyclone wrestlers. No. 3 ranked Iowa State senior David Carr pinned Wyoming’s Cole Moody to add six points to Iowa State’s team score. 

“We have to learn how to separate ourselves,” Dresser said. “Getting the major decisions, getting the tech [falls], it’s huge. I was glad to see that happen.”

Carr is now 10-0 after moving up to the 165-pound weight for his final season at Iowa State. Carr is a former national champion in the 157-pound weight class and recorded 55-straight victories at that weight. 

In the next matchup, Iowa State’s Julian Brodersen pinned his opponent No. 33 Hayden Hastings in only 22 seconds.

“It was a battle trying to claw my way into the starting lineup,” Brodersen said. “That’s the kind of program you really want to be in.”

Another bonus point came Iowa State’s way when No. 4 Marcus Coleman took down Quayin Short 17-0. The tech fall put Iowa State ahead 17-3 and helped Coleman continue a recent hot streak. 

Last time out, Coleman took down Penn State’s Aaron Brooks. Brooks is the nation’s No. 1 wrestler at 184-pounds, and Coleman secured the win when Iowa State faced the Nittany Lions in the finals of the Collegiate Duals on Dec. 20. 

Coleman earned Big 12 Wrestler of the Week honors on Dec. 28 for his win over Brooks, and on Saturday he moved his record to 9-1 on the season. 

Iowa State picked up another win-by-fall and a sixth bonus point victory in the 133-pound weight class when No. 23 Ramazan Attasauov pinned Wyoming’s Darrick Stacey. 

At 197 and 285, Iowa State picked up more bonus points. Yonger Bastida recorded a major decision over Wyoming’s Guillermo Escobedo. Sam Schuyler returned to the mat to give Iowa State a major decision.

Both Schuyler and Iowa State freshman Casey Swiderski did not take the mat in the recent dual with Penn State due to injury. The injuries appear to have no lingering effects, Dresser said, as both wrestlers returned and picked up wins on Saturday. 

Fellow Iowa State freshman Paniro Johnson also recorded a win on Saturday. Johnson moved to 8-1 on the season after taking down Chase Zollman of Wyoming. The No. 3 ranked Johnson has wins over Iowa’s Max Murn and Penn State’s Shane Van Ness this season. 

Iowa State’s Kysen Terukina, who suffered a shoulder injury in November, will remain out for the rest of the season at 125-pounds. With Corey Cabanban also out with an injury, Iowa State’s Connor Knopick made the start at 125-pounds. Knopick lost 12-4 to Wyoming’s Garrett Ricks for Wyoming’s second win of the dual.