Three Big Takeaways: Kalscheur’s heroic shot boosts Cyclones to historic conference start

Tyler Coe

Gabe Kalscheur shoots a 3-pointer against Western Michigan on Dec. 18, 2022.

Andrew Harrington, Sports Editor

Gabe Kalscheur knocked down a stepback three with 1.3 seconds left on the clock, and the Cyclones did it again. A 69-67 win over No. 17 TCU on Saturday kept the team at the top of the Big 12.

Playing as a team to get open looks, the Cyclones were able to get off to their first 3-0 conference start since the 1999-00 season.

Here are the three big takeaways from an eventful game in Texas.

Balanced scoring

Iowa State scored 36 points in the first half, pacing itself for a solid day offensively. This solid total did not come with any major individual scoring halves, though, as four players tied as leading scorers with 6 points.

This team play had a ton of success, with the Cyclones shooting 17-28 from the field in the first half. The lone area that Iowa State struggled in the first half was three-point shooting, where the team shot just 2-8 in the half.

The second half was no different for the Cyclones, with four different players cracking double-digit points, along with Tre King following right behind with 9 points of his own.

There was one player that became the hero on Saturday, though, as Kalscheur knocked down a highly contested shot to give his team the win with 15 points.

It will be crucial all season long for the Cyclones to get a couple of players in double digits.

Lipsey looking comfortable

Oftentimes freshman point guards struggle to adjust to the Big 12 play style. Cyclone fans saw this just last year as it took Tyrese Hunter a handful of games before he truly settled in. This has not been the case for freshman Tamin Lipsey.

Lipsey has played more of a facilitator role for the Cyclones this season, but in Big 12 play, Lipsey has done it all.

A 10-point total on Saturday boosted Lipsey to a 9-point per game average in Big 12 play, and he has been nothing less than an elite playmaker.

The Horned Frogs looked to push the tempo early and often on Saturday, but Lipsey did not let it affect him, running the Iowa State offense at his pace.

Interior dominance

With the three-pointers not falling for the Cyclones, the team needed to find another way to get it done and did just that.

The battle in the paint is something that the Cyclones heavily value, whether it is the posts or the guards.

Iowa State was able to outscore TCU 44-20 in the paint, with everyone contributing.

Next up for the Cyclones is a battle against Texas Tech on Tuesday in Hilton Coliseum.