Track and field team puts up record times in eventful weekend

Jacob Rice

Cailie Logue competes in the Iowa State Classic on Jan. 11, 2022.

Owen Slinde, Sports Reporter

The Cyclones wrapped up this past weekend in Arkansas and Washington. A very competitive weekend where the Cyclones saw some of the best competition in the nation. 

Husky Classic

Day 1

Cailie Logue set a new personal best with a time of 9:00.75 putting her at No. 2 in school history and placing seventh in the event. In the 3,000-meter, Freshman Ashlyn Keeney ran an impressive 9:26.63 for a place of 32nd in a field of over 100 runners. 

Chad Johnson made the move up to the 3,000-meter and clocked in a 7:50.96 moving him to fourth in ISU history and eighth overall in the event. Titus Winders also had an all-time mark with a time of 7:54.91 moving him to eighth in program history.

Day 2

Nehemia Too posted another sub-4:00 mile with 3:57.80, just .34 seconds off his school record. Peter Smith had a personal best with a time of 4:02.58 and Freshman Emanuel Galdino cut four seconds off his own time with 4:04.47

Tyson Invitational

Day 1

Rachel Joseph sprinted to a 53.41 400-meter dash to reset her school record and also placed 11th in a very challenging field. Sydney Willits broke the 20-foot barrier in four of six rounds to get her own personal best of 20-3.75. That jump also puts her in eighth place in indoor program history.

In the men’s 400-meter dash, more personal records were set. Joven Nelson went under 48 seconds for the first time in his career and the Freshman Gus Langford also had a personal best with a mark of 48.68.

Day 2

The women’s 4×400 group broke a record that stood for 10 years. The group of Zakiyah Amos, Kaylyn Hall, Rachel Joseph, and Bria Barnes combined for a time of 3:38.90. The first time in ISU indoor history under 3:39. The time they broke was 3:39.07 set in 2013.

Jason Gómez placed second in the 800-meter event with a time of 1:46.53. That time was just .55 seconds off the school record. That time is currently third in the Big-12 and fourth in the nation this year.

Gentil went sub-1:47 with a time of 1:46.75 for third in the event and third in ISU history and currently sixth in the nation. Kipyego dominated his personal best for a time of 1:47.38 for fifth place and moves up to fourth in school history.

The Cyclones are back in action in three different spots on Friday just a week until the Big 12 Indoor Championships.