Track and field takes the title at three different locations

Tyler Coe

Cebastian Gentil (left) and Darius Kipyego (right) walk off the track at Lied Recreational Center in the ISU Holiday Invitational on Dec. 10, 2022.

Owen Slinde, Sports Reporter

Iowa State track and field finished the Arkansas Qualifiers, Iowa Open, and the Snowshoe Open with three event titles and two top-10 program marks.

Iowa State started with the distance medley relay and finished sixth with a time of 9:30.96, which is currently seventh-fastest in the NCAA. Jason Gómez led off with the 1,200-meter leg, Cebastian Gentil ran the 400 leg, Darius Kipyego then ran the 800-meter leg, and the final 1,600-meter leg was run by Nehemia Too. Oklahoma State and Washington broke the previous collegiate record in that event today too.

Still at the Arkansas Qualifier, Peter Smith won the 800-meter title with a time of 1:47.84 just .01 seconds off his personal best.

The throwers went up to Minnesota for the Snowshoe Open. Iowa State took the top two spots in shot put. Led by Rebecca Manteuffel with a distance of 14.79 meters and followed by freshman Jadan Brumbaugh with 14.62 meters.

For the weight throw, Manteuffel posted an ISU PR, improving her mark at number seven in ISU history with a distance of 19.25 meters placing second. Cyclones also took the third and fourth spot with Kaitlyn Burson threw 19.01 meters and Emily March threw 18.67 meters.

Cam Jones again, threw over 70 feet in the men’s weight throw placing second with 21.34 meters. The mark is less than three feet off his school record. 

In the Iowa Open, James Ezeonu and Sydney Willits both finished second place in the event and lowered their personal records in both the prelims and finals of the event. Ezeonu and Willits both came just .03 seconds for the No. 10 rank in school history.

Ezeonu also grabbed a fourth-place finish and a personal best in the 200-meter dash with a time of 22.35.

Kiersten Fisher got another event title for the Cyclones in the long jump. The sophomore got a personal best mark with a distance of 5.55 meters. 

The Cyclones will now move onto the postseason for Indoor Track and Field as they head to Lubbock, Texas for the Big 12 Championships.