Greek community to celebrate homecoming through traditions

Katlyn Campbell/Iowa State Daily

A skit titled “CY Chasers” is performed during the finals of Yell Like Hell on Oct. 27 during the Homecoming Pep Rally outside the Alumni Center. The finals of Yell Like Hell featured students covered in cardinal and gold paint from head to toe. The groups performed skits full of chants and dancing.

Sierra Hoeger

Homecoming week is filled with traditions and activities.

Students are encouraged to participate in events throughout homecoming week, and the Sorority and Fraternity Community makes no exception with its members. Chapter members participate in various events throughout the week, making it one of the first big events most new members are taking part in.

Yell Like Hell and ExCYtement in the Streets are two out of the many traditions members of the Greek Community participate in.

Yell Like Hell is an event where members of sororities and fraternities get covered in body paint and perform a chant or skit pertaining to the Homecoming theme on stage in front of judges.

The multi-round event is a part of the week that members look forward to each year.

“[I’m most excited about] the chance to get painted and to yell as loud as I want,” said freshman Presley Polvere, member of Gamma Phi Beta.

Making its way onto campus in 1963, Yell Like Hell brings together not only members of a single chapter, but multiple chapters as well.

“The selection of teams was put in place to promote the Sorority and Fraternity Community’s value of Friendship,” said senior Grace Rosson, co-director for the Homecoming Central Committee. “By having this system in place members of the community create more bonds with more chapters which boosts morale for the entire community”.

Groups are judged on their ability to incorporate the homecoming theme into their chant or skit, as well as school spirit and colors.

Yell Like Hell is open to the public, as participants go through a series of rounds before making it through to the final round.

Participants started almost as soon as the new pledges joined their chapters, wanting to perfect a winning routine.

“Both my big and grand big are in Yell Like Hell, and having them there has made it so much easier for me to get to know them and just have fun,” said freshman Paige Stephenson, member of Sigma Kappa.

ExCytement in the Streets is another homecoming tradition Sorority and Fraternity Community members look forward to.

This event includes lawn decorations or displays, parade floats and performances from Student Organizations. Parade floats can be seen at the Homecoming Parade, which takes place at 2 p.m. Sunday in downtown Ames.

The first lawn decoration was displayed on Iowa State’s campus over 100 years ago in 1912. The sign was built by engineering students and stood 55-feet high. Today, Iowa State is known for its original and uncommon lawn displays or decorations.

The Sorority and Fraternity Community also participate in events that help to raise awareness for a certain cause or fundraise to support various organizations.

The Blue Sky Days 4k, collecting pop tabs for The Ronald McDonald House, and participating in a social media-video competition for St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital are all examples of philanthropic events the sorority and fraternity community are a part of Homecoming Week.

Members can also participate in a number of physical activities throughout Homecoming Week, with competitive tournaments like volleyball, basketball and a family feud-like game.

All of these activities serve the same purpose: to bring the communities together as one.

“We believe that the sorority and fraternity community’s involvement in Homecoming not only provides opportunities for chapter members to become closer together but allows for participants to make new friends and help build a strong sense of community throughout Iowa State”, said Andrew Larson, co-director for the Homecoming Central Committee.

Central Campus will be the venue for multiple events happening throughout the week such as free food, festivals and alumni reunions. At the end of the week, mass campaniling will help conclude the week before the homecoming football game.

On Friday, Oct. 26th, hundreds of students will flock underneath the campanile to enjoy fireworks, $3 pancakes and to become an “Iowa Stater” as the bells toll midnight.

Then, on Oct. 27, Iowa State will play Texas Tech in hopes of another homecoming victory. The first homecoming game also occurred over 100 years ago, when Iowa State went against rival Iowa, and for the next four years afterwards.

Another event the sorority and fraternity community is hosting in the month of October is Sorority and Fraternity Trick or Treat.

Open to the Ames community, children in fifth grade and younger are invited to the Memorial Union for a night of trick-or-treating, bag toss, bowling, face painting, a costume contest and more.

“There’s no monetary advantage, but one of our values is civic engagement, so I think by being able to host an event that aligns with our community values is something that’s really important to us,” said senior Micaela Choate, Multicultural Greek Council President. “It’s an opportunity for us not to only get to know the Ames community, but the Ames community to get to know us better.”

Preparations for the event began around January of this year, and have progressing ever since.

Around 500 individuals were in attendance last year, and the Philanthropy and Service Team has high hopes for growth.

“Each year we grow by about 50-60 people. More people come each year because more people are finding out about it,” said Zana Morris, coordinator of Sorority and Fraternity Engagement.

Held on Oct. 28th from 5-7 p.m., the event hopes to have success and bring together members from all four councils and various chapters.

The theme of comradery runs throughout almost every event you’ll find a Sorority and Fraternity Community member at. The month of October is no exception, with Homecoming and Halloween festivities keeping members as busy as ever, showing school spirit and pride through and through.