Cyclone men’s golf is back in action at Wyoming Cowboy Classic

LUKE LU/Iowa State Athletics

Luke Gutschewski hits a practice shot. (Courtesy of Iowa State Athletics)

Daniel Krivacs, Sports Reporter

Iowa State Men’s Golf will be back in action Monday for the first time in nearly a month. The Cyclones’ last event was at the Colleton River Collegiate in Bluffton, South Carolina. The Cyclones finished in a tie for ninth place out of a 12-team field.  

Iowa State scored an 844 as a team, which is the 13th-lowest 54-hole total in school history. The Cyclones made some more history in the second round, where the team shot 268. Good for 20 under par, their 268 was the second-lowest 18-hole team score in program history.  

Luke Gutschewski, a sophomore from Elkhorn, Nebraska, has continued to impress this season and will look to continue his success going into the Wyoming Cowboy Classic on Monday.  

Gutschewski shot a 207 and finished tied for sixth place at the Colleton River Collegiate. That was Gutschewski’s third top-10 finish of the season. Gutschewski and Lukas Pany lead the Cyclones with three top-10 finishes this season. Gutschewski also leads the team in rounds shot under par and rounds shot in the 60s this year. 

Pany, a junior from Marbella, Spain, had a career day in the second round of the Colleton River Collegiate. Pany shot a 68, which is tied for his career low. Pany also finished in the top 10 at the Colleton River Collegiate last month, scoring a 208, good for an eighth-place finish.  

Paul Beauvy, a freshman from Saint-Alban, France, also had a career day in the second round of the Colleton River Collegiate. He shot a seven-under 65, which is tied for the lowest score of his career.  

Next up is the Wyoming Cowboy Classic, hosted by the University of Wyoming and played in Chandler, Arizona. TCU and Kansas will be the other two Big 12 programs competing at the Wyoming Cowboy Classic. The Cyclones are 1-2 against Kansas this season and 0-2 against the Horned Frogs.  

The Wyoming Cowboy Classic is the start of a busy stretch of the schedule for the Cyclones. Hopefully, the team got some rest in March because April features three events in three weeks before the Big 12 Championship begins April 24.  

The Wyoming Cowboy Classic presents an opportunity for Iowa State to gain some ground in the Big 12 standings and build on the momentum they gained in the second round of the Colleton River Collegiate. Currently, West Virginia is the only team ranked lower than Iowa State in the Big 12.  

Day one of the Wyoming Cowboy Classic will feature 36 holes of golf for the Cyclones Monday. Day two will feature the 18-hole conclusion Tuesday.