Three Big Takeaways: Cyclones dominate across the board at Dutch Invitational

Senior Antonella Creazzola (left) congratulates her teammate Danielle Hoyle during the women’s hammer throw at the Drake Relays on April 30, 2022 in Des Moines. Creazzola finished ninth overall in the hammer and broke her personal best in the process with a throw of 199 feet, 10 inches.

Cayden Storm, Sports Reporter

Iowa State track and field traveled to Pella, Iowa, to compete in the Dutch Invitational Friday. The meet featured many younger athletes for the Cyclones, but that did not prevent the team from providing many impressive performances.  

Cyclones take first in multiple field events 

Iowa State had success in the field events at the Dutch Invitational, finding themselves with a handful of first-place finishes.  

In men’s discus, Cam Jones came in first place with a PR throw of 54.60 meters, while Blake Veenstra finished in fifth place with a throw of 49.37 meters.

Discus proved to be a successful event for the women’s team as well, as Rebecca Manteuffel took home first place with a PR throw of 49.43 meters. This throw also placed Manteuffel in sixth place in Iowa State history. 

The Cyclone men showed up big in the high jump, with freshmen Tyson Cooley and Jack Noble taking the top-two placements. Cooley finished in first, jumping 2.05 meters, while Noble took second with a jump of 2.00 meters. 

The women’s high jumpers were able to match the men’s performance. Kailynn Gubbels took home first place (1.70 meters) and Brooke Naughton (1.65 meters) placed second.  

Sydney Willits took home first place in women’s long jump, jumping 6.21 meters. 

Success in the hurdles 

Iowa State men and women also found success in the hurdle events.  

On the men’s side, freshman Jack Latham came away with a first-place finish in the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 14.48, while fellow freshman Alec Carr placed third, running a time of 14.70.  

While the women’s hurdle squad didn’t have a first-place finisher, they still had an excellent showing in the 100-meter hurdles. The Cyclones were able to sweep places two-five in the event. Katie Ruffener (14.17) finished second and Ava Cinnamo (14.64) took third, while Mackenzie Carney (14.87) and Gubbels (15.27) took fourth and fifth.  

Carney was also able to take third place in the women’s 400-meter hurdles, with a time of 1:04.42.  

Other notable performances 

There were several other impressive Cyclone performances throughout the day.  

In men’s long jump Thai Thompson jumped to a PR 7.00 meters which was good enough for a second-place finish.  

In men’s javelin, Caden Hacker placed third with a season-best throw of 50.45 meters. Zach Kraft came in at sixth with a PR 49.18 meters.  

Tyler Carreon placed second in the men’s 800-meter run, running a time of 1:54.24. Levi Taylor (1:55.28) finished in fifth. Seth Clevenger (1:55.40) finished in sixth.  

In the men’s 1500-meter run, Silas Winders ran 3:49.27, placing second.  

Cam Jones put up the seventh-best performance in Iowa State history in the hammer throw with a throw of 58.63 meters.

In men’s shotput Veenstra took home second place with a throw of 16.55 meters.  

On deck for the Cyclones is the Bryan Clay Invitational, Mt. Sac Relays, Pacific Coast Intercollegiate Meet and the Long Beach Invitational. These meets will take place April 13-15, in various locations in California.