Three Big Takeaways: Cyclones finish sixth in Big 12 Match Play

LUKE LU/Iowa State Athletics

Iowa State sophomore Ruby Chou hits a shot. 

Logan Shanks, Sports Reporter

The Iowa State women’s golf team lost 3-2 in the consolation finals against Oklahoma and claimed sixth place in Big 12 Match Play. 

The Cyclones ended pool play Saturday evening with a 4-4 record, earning a spot in the consolation semifinals with a matchup against Texas Tech. A 3-1-1 win over the Red Raiders secured them a spot in the consolation finals. 

All of the matchups against the Sooners were close, but ultimately the Cyclones were not able to pull through down the stretch.

Two Cyclones find success in the final round

Liyana Durisic and Pammy Chookaew won their final matchups of the weekend. 

Durisic started the weekend winless through four matches on day one but quickly rebounded on day two, winning all four of her matchups. She kept the streak going Sunday with a fifth-straight win. 

Chookaew ended her weekend with a 7-1 record overall. The freshman found success all season and kept it rolling, starting the postseason on fire. 

Star players end the weekend on a disappointing note

Karisa Chul-Ak-Sorn was coming off an NCAA record-tying performance heading into the weekend but couldn’t keep the momentum going into Big 12 Match Play. She lost her final weekend matchup, ending with an overall record of 4-3-1. 

Rounding out the Cyclone’s lineup are Ruby Chou and Taglao Jeeravivitaporn, who ended their weekends with a loss in their Oklahoma matchups. 

Chou ended pool play with a 1-5 record but won her matchup against Texas Tech in the semifinals. However, Chou ended with a loss in the consolation finals to finish her weekend with a 2-6 overall record. 

Jeeravivitaporn ended her weekend losing both matches in bracket play and finishing with a 2-5-1 overall record. 

The road ahead

Big 12 Match Play marks the start of the postseason for Iowa State, as the Cyclones have three more possible tournaments left in the season. 

Iowa State’s postseason is set to continue April 21-23 at the Big 12 Championships in Dallas. Following that, some players will have the opportunity to compete in NCAA Regionals and the NCAA Championships, both of which will take place in May.