Three Big Takeaways: Cyclones blow past Redhawks in doubleheader

Tyler Coe/Iowa State Daily

Iowa State pitcher Karlie Charles celebrates after striking out the side in the Cyclones’ 5-3 win over Kansas on May 7, 2022.

Pavle Markovic, Sports Reporter

The Cyclones took down the SEMO Redhawks in a home-game doubleheader Tuesday, as they now improve their record 16-25 on the season.

Iowa State beat SEMO 12-0 in game one and 4-0 in the second game.

Cyclones wallop Redhawks in game one

The Cyclones entered the matchup looking to continue the momentum they brought in after defeating No. 3 Oklahoma State Sunday. The Cyclones did just that and demolished SEMO in the first game of the doubleheader, beating them in five innings by a score of 12-0. 

Iowa State scored those 12 runs on 12 hits in the game as they put on a show early on. Senior Karlie Charles pitched the entirety of the game, as she finished her outing with the win while only giving up two hits and striking out six batters. 

Junior Milaysia Ochoa got on base in all four of her at-bats as she continues to contribute for this Cyclones squad. Senior shortstop Alesia Ranches also had a good game at the plate as she reached in all three of her plate appearances. 

Johnson’s home run leads Iowa State to sweep

Freshman Tatum Johnson led the way in the second game for Iowa State as the Cyclones finished off the Redhawks by a score of 4-0. Johnson hit her first collegiate home run in the bottom of the third inning, as she helped the Cyclones get some much-needed wins. 

Freshman Jaiden Ralston started the game for the Cyclones, as she went four innings only giving up two hits and a walk to keep the Redhawks off the board. 

Senior Ellie Spelhaug came in for relief of Ralston in the fifth inning. She dominated SEMO holding them to no hits, while striking out seven batters–a new career high for Ellie.

Big weekend series coming up

The Cyclones continued their momentum from Sunday by getting two wins against a team that leads their conference. The Cyclones now look to continue their momentum heading into their next series where they will face Colorado State. 

The Cyclones will play the Rams Friday and Saturday, playing doubleheaders on both days as they look to inch closer toward the .500 mark.