Cyclone men’s basketball officially adds three new transfers

Jacob Rice

T.J. Otzelberger calls out directions to the Cyclones during their 53-36 loss to Oklahoma State on March 2.

Hailey Dohnal, Assistant Sports Editor

The Iowa State men’s basketball team will be adding three new transfer players to its 2024-24 roster. 

Head coach T.J. Otzelberger discussed Wednesday the additions of Keshon Gilbert (UNLV), Jackson Paveletzke (Wofford) and Curtis Jones (Buffalo). The three are expected to join the Cyclone team this summer. 

“We’re ecstatic to add three high-character, multi-dimensional, experienced guards to our backcourt,” Otzelberger said. “They will undoubtedly bolster our offensive efficiency and up-tempo style of play.” 

Keshon Gilbert

Gilbert is a 6-4 guard from St. Louis, Missouri, and will have two seasons left of eligibility. Gilbert appeared in 31 of UNLV’s 32 games in the 2022-23 season and started in 29 of them. 

He ranked second on the team with 11.4 points per game, ranked fourth in rebounds (3.8) and led UNLV in steals per game (1.7). 

Furthermore, Gilbert was one of two players on the roster to average over three assists per game (3.2) and scored in double figures 19 times with a 25-point season high in a Washington State victory. 

In high school, Gilbert spent his time at Durango High School in Las Vegas where he led his team to the state tournament for the first time in 17 years. During his senior year at Vashon High School in St. Louis, Gilbert led his team to a state title.  

Coming out of high school, Gilbert was ranked 29th in the nation for point guards by 247Sports along with being a three-star prospect by ESPN and Rivals. 

“He [Gilbert] has a relentless ability to get in the paint, making plans for himself and his teammates,” Otzelberger said. “Defensively, he takes tremendous pride in locking up the other team’s primary perimeter option.”

Jackson Paveletzke

Paveletzke is a 6-3 guard from Kimberly, Wisconsin, and will come to Iowa State with three years of eligibility remaining. 

During his time at Wofford, Paveletzke started all 33 games and was one of two players to average double-figure points with 15.1 per game. The 15.1 points per game was the seventh-most by a freshman in NCAA Division I this past season. 

Furthermore, Paveletzke played 10 games with 20 or more points along with a career-high of 25 points against Furman on Jan. 22. 

Paveletzke also had the 11th-best average by a freshman this past season with 3.7. He also shot 49.4 % from the floor and 39.3 % from three-point range. 

As for his high school career, Paveletzke led Kimberly to a state runner-up finish as a junior along with a regional championship as a senior where he averaged 30 points, 6.1 assists and 5.2 rebounds per game. He also became the all-time leading scorer for Kimberly High School. 

“Jackson possesses tremendous skill, playmaking ability and long-range shooting,” Otzelberger said. “He’s crafty with the basketball and thrives at making his teammates better.” 

Curtis Jones

Jones is a 6-5 guard from Minneapolis who will have two seasons of eligibility remaining. 

During his time at Buffalo, Jones earned All-MAC Third Team honors in the 2022-23 season and led the team with 15 points per game.  He also shot 35.9% from 3-point range and 41% from the field.

Jones started in all 31 games for Buffalo this past season and scored in double figures in 24 of them. On Dec. 30, he earned a career-high of 32 points against St. Bonaventure and had another 30-point game against Western Michigan. 

Prior to his two years at Buffalo, Jones attended the 2020-21 season at Indian Hills Community College where he averaged 12.1 points, 6 rebounds and 5.5 assists in 24 games. 

He was also a Second Team All-Region selection while shooting 41.4% from the field and 38.7% from three-point range. 

During his senior year of high school, Jones led Cretin-Derham Hall to the Minnesota Class 4A title. 

“Curtis has a high basketball IQ with terrific decision-making abilities,” Otzelberger said. “He has proven to be a terrific rebounder from the guard position.