Primary Health Care to provide HIV and STD testing to Iowa State

Multiple times per year, the Primary Healthcare Clinic (PHC) in Ames provides free STD testing, including an HIV test. During the semester, PHC brings its mobile testing unit to campus to give students more access to testing. 

Kendall Sharp

Iowa State students will be able to receive free, confidential HIV and STD testing Wednesday from 11 a.m to 4 p.m.

Primary Health Care will provide this testing outside the Memorial Union on the west side of the building facing Lake LaVerne.

Representatives from Student Wellness and Thielen Student Health Center will be at the event to answer students’ sexual health questions. They will be able to direct students to resources around campus and near Ames.

HIV testing is done by drawing blood with a finger prick. If the test shows positive, the patient is asked to go through another test to confirm the diagnosis. The second test is required to know for sure that you have HIV.

Other STD testing is done by a urine sample, mouth or anal swab. These test results take a few days to process.

Approximately one in two people in the United States become infected with a STD at some point in their lives, according to American Sexual Health Association.

Primary Health Care hopes to normalize good sexual health practices by having their mobile clinic in a public area. All students, faculty and staff are welcome.

If people are unable to attend the mobile clinic, Primary Health Care provides HIV and STD testing in their Ames office 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday.