Iowa State women’s golf secures 13th straight NCAA regional selection

Iowa+State+junior+Ruby+Chou+hits+a+practice+shot.+

Luke Lu/Iowa State Athletics

Iowa State junior Ruby Chou hits a practice shot.

Logan Shanks, Sports Reporter

The Iowa State women’s golf team was selected to compete in its 13th straight NCAA Regional selection.

After a fourth-place finish at the Big 12 Championships, the Cyclones earned the No. 4 seed at NCAA Westfield Regional in Westfield, Indiana. 

The team is led by their standout freshman, Karisa Chul-Ak-Sorn, who had a stroke average of 70.33. In her first year at Iowa State, she tied an NCAA record for the lowest 54-hole score and finished in the top five six times. In the most recent individual rankings by Golfweek, she sits at seventh, which is the second highest among individuals that will be at Westfield. 

At the Big 12 Championships, freshman Pammy Chookaew took home second place with a three-round total of 213 strokes, which tied the lowest 54-hole conference score in school history. She is ranked No. 128 in Golfweek’s individual rankings and has a 72.83 stroke average on the season. 

The play by the upperclassmen this season has held back the team in the regular season and trailed into the postseason. The bright spot has been junior Liyana Durisic, who finished second in stroke averages on the team with 72.37. At the Houston Icon Invite in February, she tied for second place and finished in the top-25 at the Big 12 Championships. 

Rounding out the lineup for Iowa State is junior Ruby Chou and senior Taglao Jeeravivitaporn, who have had their moments throughout the season but have not found consistent success recently. Last season, both qualified for the NCAA National Championships as individuals, the first two to ever qualify for Iowa State. At the Big 12 Championships, they were the bottom performers for the Cyclones, each scoring above par in every round.

The three teams seeded above Iowa State are No. 1 Mississippi State, No. 2 Oregon and No. 3 Vanderbilt. The only team above the Cyclones in Golfweek’s rankings is Mississippi State, who sits at seventh. Mississippi State is coming off of a second-place finish in the SEC Championships, while Vanderbilt lost to them in the quarter-finals. 

Oregon finished runner-up this season to USC at the Pac-12 Championships. Last season, the Ducks finished runner-up in the NCAA Championship, losing to Stanford. 

The Cyclones finished ninth at the NCAA Stanford Regionals last season, their highest finish since qualifying for the NCAA Championships in 2014, where they finished 23rd out of 24 teams. 

The NCAA Westfield Regionals will start May 8 and go through May 10, with one round being played each day. The top-five teams and six individuals with the lowest scores not on one of the top-five teams will advance to the NCAA Championships.