Cyclones prepare for homestand against No. 18 Baylor

Tyler Coe

Alesia Ranches nearly turns 2 against Iowa on Apr. 26, 2023.

Pavle Markovic, Sports Reporter

Iowa State softball prepares for a three-game homestand against No. 18 Baylor starting Friday at the Cyclones Sports Complex.

The Cyclones are coming off of a thrilling performance in Iowa City, where they took down Iowa 7-4 on its home turf Wednesday evening to give them a four-game winning streak against the Hawkeyes.

Iowa State now sits at a record of 19-27 on the season as it had a big turnaround to its season.

The Cyclones are currently on a three-game winning streak and won six out of their last eight games as they try to finish the season on a strong note.

Junior Milaysia Ochoa continued to add to her incredible season as she is coming off of a two-home run performance against Iowa.

Ochoa now has 11 home runs on the season as she continues to produce from the lead-off spot for the Cyclones.

Freshman Jaiden Ralston came up big for Iowa State as she held the Hawkeyes through the middle innings of the game to eventually help give the Cyclones the win.

Ralston only gave up three hits in the game against Iowa in three and two-thirds innings pitched while striking out four batters. She now looks to produce against a team like the Baylor Bears.

Baylor currently ranks No. 18 and sits at a 35-13 record on the season. The Bears are coming off a win against Texas State as they took down the Bobcats in five innings by a score of 3-0.

Baylor has ranked wins under its belt, such as upset wins over No. 1 Oklahoma and No. 4 Tennessee. The Bears will now look to continue their successful season against Iowa State. 

The series between the Cyclones and the Bears will be the last three-game series that Iowa State will have in Ames as they will look to put on a show this weekend.

The first game of the weekend against the Bears will start at 4 p.m. Friday, followed by the next game at 1 p.m. Saturday. The home series will wrap up at noon Sunday.