RAGBRAI traffic conflicts with nearly 500 residents from The Social moving out

Cleo Westin
Bikers ride past a temporary stop light at the intersection of Mortensen Road and Coconino Road.

As RAGBRAI entered Ames on Tuesday, riders’ first turn was onto Mortensen — a street surrounded by apartments and living spaces — where many residents had planned to move out that morning.

Residents of The Social West Ames had been told nearly a year ago that their leases ended at noon on July 25, according to leasing manager Paige Furman. Due to fair housing laws, they are unable to extend the date to move out. Furman said nearly 500 residents had to move out early with only a week’s notice.

“It was pretty inconvenient to them, with renting trucks and whatnot, and a U-Haul isn’t going to give you the truck on a different day if you rented it for a certain day,” Furman said,

The Social offered residents who moved early storage garages, which would have cost the complex $50 each garage, but they had no residents request storage.

“It would have hit us pretty significantly financially,” Furman said. “They’re supposed to be for a minimum of three months. We generally don’t make any changes to that whatsoever, according to fair housing laws, unless it’s a big situation like this where it affects hundreds of our residents.”

If The Social were to extend leases, they would have to push back the date of new residents moving in, according to Furman.

Furman said most residents moved out Saturday through Monday, but some residents were still attempting to move out Tuesday.

While moving out may have had challenges, residents living in Independence Village Senior Living on Mortensen have not had issues traveling to and from their homes, according to executive director Betsy Warburton.

Warburton said the city only told them to be cautious of bikers when leaving the area.

Bikers mainly traveled through the area from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., but the road was reserved for riders for the entire day.

View Comments (3)
$2700
$2500