Selection Friday: Ames Bar Bonanza

March has officially arrived, and along with it comes America’s favorite tournament: March Madness. Soon, all eyes will soon be glued to television, watching the tournament many so greatly adore. Here in Ames, however, there’s only one thing people cherish more than tournament time, and that is the beloved bar scene. 

Over the course of the next four weeks, the top 16 bars of Ames will battle it out until a single victor emerges, being crowned the Iowa State Daily Bar Bonanza Champion. Establishments of Welch Avenue, downtown Ames and West Street will be included in this gauntlet. Voting for each round will last one week, beginning with the first round on March 9. A link to each round’s voting form will be sent out in the Iowa State Daily’s newsletter each Friday for the next four weeks. Voters can find the link to subscribe to the Daily Dose on the Iowa State Daily homepage.

(1) AJ’s Ultra Lounge vs. (16) Time Out

The infamous one vs. 16 seed matchup: an Ames favorite paired against the up-and-coming arcade bar. While these two establishments could not be farther apart in terms of similarities, they both maintain a strong cult following. AJ’s boasts its impressive outdoor patio, complete with its own bar and designated area for cornhole. With a projection screen and second-level dance floor, the Ultra Lounge has solidified itself as a favorite amongst students. Time Out, however, presents something completely unique to any other bar in Ames. The arcade hangout features an abundance of vintage arcade machines and a wide selection of specialty drinks. Could we possibly see a David vs. Goliath upset?

(9) Mickey’s vs. (8) Welch Ave. Station

Coming in at No. 8 and No. 9, the Mickey’s vs. Welch Ave. Station matchup is set to be a barnburner. Mickey’s Irish Pub features two levels of entertainment, a basement and an outdoor patio. A student favorite for mug night, Mickey’s is certainly not to be overlooked in this tournament. A true Ames classic, Welch Ave. Station has been pouring drinks for students and Ames residents alike for nearly 35 years. Located underneath the legendary Pizza Pit, Welch Ave offers billiards, drink specials and the atmosphere of a small-town bowling alley, only without the lanes.

(4) BNC Fieldhouse vs. (13) Sam’s Place

A true battle of the sports bar giants: BNC vs. Sam’s Place offer some of the best game day experiences in all of Ames. BNC Fieldhouse, a student favorite and popular mug night destination, offers special event nights, great food and an outdoor cornhole area located next to its patio. Located in downtown Ames, Sam’s Place might be the ultimate Cyclone sports viewing experience. The spacious two-level bar holds a turf area for cornhole and billiards tables as far as the eye can see. Who will emerge as the top Iowa State sports bar experience?

(12) Thumbs vs. (5) Paddy’s Irish Pub

A true small-town experience, Thumbs has been serving customers since 1989. The wooden-paneled establishment has gained a cult following over the years and its patrons make sure to let you know of it. Coming in as the No. 5 seed, Paddy’s brings a more laid-back atmosphere when compared to its downstairs Sips basement. The establishment has become known for events like its Beer Garden and is a fan favorite for upperclassmen at Iowa State.

(2) Cy’s Roost vs. (15) London Underground

Skyrocketing in popularity after its newly renovated patio, Cy’s Roost has become one of the hottest bars on Welch. Featuring two levels and an impressive outdoor area, Cy’s is certainly a contender to bring home the title of Bar Bonanza Champion. On the other hand, downtown Ames’ London Underground holds one of the most unique atmospheres across town. The British pub envelops you in its swanky atmosphere and is home to some of the best specialty drinks in Ames, such as its iconic necromancer.  

(10) Mother’s Pub vs. (7) Es Tas

Mother’s vs. Es Tas will be another tightly-fought battle of cult followings. Well-known for its iconic trivia nights, Mother’s Pub brings a local but lively atmosphere to the table. With live music and an array of specials, Mother’s has become a hotspot for both students and Ames locals. Famous for its Tacos and late night drink specials, Es Tas has remained a student favorite for a number of years. The Mexican bar and grill boasts a lively atmosphere and phenomenal food, making it a top choice for students on any night of the week.

(3) Sips vs (14) Whiskey River

Another powerhouse of the tournament, Sips comes in as the No. 3 seed. The lower half of Paddy’s Irish Pub, Sips, is widely known for its spacious basement dance floor and energetic atmosphere. With lines that often stretch across Welch Avenue, it is certainly a contender to take home the title. On the other hand, downtown Ames’ Whiskey River is the perfect place to sit down, have a beer on tap and watch a Cyclone’s game. With multiple locations throughout Iowa, Whiskey River has become a household name and is certainly not to be counted out in this trying gauntlet. 

(11) The Blue Owl Bar vs. (6) Outlaws

Entering the tournament as an 11 seed, Blue Owl has become a hotspot for its drink specials and small-town feel. A favorite for both students and locals alike, Blue Owl has a chance to make a deep run in the tournament if its patrons come through during voting time. Arguably one of the steadily popular bars in Ames, Outlaws is truly one of a kind. The local country bar holds live music each week on its grand stage, which has hosted a number of well-known singers, bands and even Super Bowl contending quarterback and Iowa State alumni Brock Purdy. One of the largest bars in terms of square footage, Outlaws has its eyes locked on a deep tournament run.

The first round of voting will take place on March 9 and conclude on March 15. The link for voting can be found by signing up for the Daily Dose newsletter on the Iowa State Daily homepage.

View Comments (3)
$2700
$2500